OP
OP
B

bigburt03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your losses. There are a few potential issues that I see.

First: Cycling a tank is a long process, that almost always takes several weeks and sometimes over a month. In a day, very little about the conditions of the tank can change.

Second: People usually only add a fish or two at a time, with several weeks between additions. Otherwise, the bacteria that remove toxins will be overwhelmed and the ammonia will spike.

Third: I see no mention of quarantining in your posts. It is generally suggested to keep fish in a hospital tank for a while before adding them, in order to prevent and treat diseases. Some diseases wipe out groups of fish within a few days.

Fourth: Feeding three times a day is not needed for most fish, once or twice a day is good enough. Overfeeding will worsen any ammonia in the tank.

Fifth: Ocean water often contains pollutants, or has improper parameters.

I suggest testing your water thoroughly. If the ammonia levels are low or non-existent, you can probably continue with the two remaining fish. If not, please bring the fish back to your LFS, as your tank isn't ready for fish. Next, acquire a RO/DI filter. This will allow you to filter out the impurities in tap water, so that salt can be mixed in. Then use a brand of aquarium salt such as Red Sea or Instant Ocean to make your own saltwater at home. Please don't add any more fish or crustaceans until the tank has been set up for a few more weeks. This article will provide all of the information needed to get your tank back on the right track. I hope that this helps!

I appreciate the advice thank you will follow these suggestions

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 61 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back