Rookies Nano in 89

mfdrookie516

Certified Redneck
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep... I said 89 because I want to be different (much like this whole project).

I'm going to use a cheapo 20 long from petsmart and I'm going to build a stand and canopy. The ONLY thing I have at this point is a light that I'm going to steal off my refugium (Nova Extreme 2x24w T5HO fixture that I'll have to replace the bulbs on). For the stand/canopy, I'm going for a rustic look. I plan on using either 1/2"x4" poplar, or 1x6 T&G (can't decide yet). I'm going to beat the living daylights out of it with screws in a bag, a hammer, bolts, whatever else I can find to give it that 'weathered' look, then stain it. This is going to be a simple tank, as my goal is to have the cheapest tank in the contest, even though it'll probably be twice as big as most. I've found my source for corals, so the plan is all in the works now. I'm going to do 100% ricordeas. Nothing else (though I'll add the disclaimer that this is subject to change, much like my mind does often). I'm going to do a 100% fresh start using base rock only, and the tank will be bare bottom. There will be no sump, no skimmer, nothing except powerheads and a heater. I doubt that I'll have any fish either, though I do want to look in to a few inverts for fun. While I'm not setting a budget (as my ~$500 budget on my 40b quickly doubled), I am setting a goal of staying under $300 for the whole thing.. That's pretty much $150 for tank, stand/canopy, heater, powerhead, paint, and rock... and $150 for the rics.

This is going to be slow on updates, as I'll be out of town from 5/25-6/6, so nothing will even be started before then. I'll definitely be at the back of the back in this contest, but if all goes as planned, this should be one sexy little tank.

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can't wait man!

revsgirl

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright!! Lookin' forward to seeing it!!

OP
OP
mfdrookie516

mfdrookie516

Certified Redneck
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. I guess I'm going to wait until 6/16 to set it up so that my title is accurate... :)

OP
OP
mfdrookie516

mfdrookie516

Certified Redneck
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ehh... I definitely won't be starting on it until the week I get back, but I'll have the stand to build and the tank to buy, along with ordering the bulbs, heater, powerhead, and rock... then I have the frags to pick out and order. I'll actually be lucky to get it set up by the 16th.

OP
OP
mfdrookie516

mfdrookie516

Certified Redneck
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well of course. I want to set it up right this second... but having a 2 year old has taught me to have *some* patience.

REEFKEEPER10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I understand that. Wait until they hit 6 then you will wish you still had patience. Lol I have a two year old and a six year old. So I have no patience anymore. Just kidding. Can't wait to see your masterpiece.

OP
OP
mfdrookie516

mfdrookie516

Certified Redneck
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, this tank isn't going to happen right now. I still plan to fulfill my 'ricordea garden' idea at some point, but life is beginning to get really hectic for me, we're looking to buy a new house, etc.. so I don't think I have the time to dedicate to another tank right now.

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We hate to lose you from the competition, but can certainly understand and relate to your situation.
-M&T

BarbH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too bad that you are going to have to drop out of the competition. Hopefully when life settles down some and you have time to do another tank we will be seeing a build thread in the future.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 53 74.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 9.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%

Back