OP
OP
um_fan5

um_fan5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may be the light. I have a 20 gal tank that had a viparspectra on it. I tweaked it using a par meter to avoid burning anything. Still, corals were fading away, only minuscule traces of coraline here and there. After an icp test showing that the water was fine, I replaced the light with two AI primes. Problem solved. Even dead frags of cyphastrea that appeared to have died are coming back to life.
Thanks @Reefer4fun
Have 2 XR15's G4 on AB+ schedule @ about 50%
1-hr ramp up starting at 11:30am and an 1-hr ramp down starting at 8:30pm
I haven't fussed with the lights since they were flipped on and everything was fine for months!
Now, What I haven't done is a PAR mapping....since I'm looking at switching over to new lights towards the end of the year!

If you haven't had coraline growing, it's time to really look at your parameters closely. The fact that your nemmies and clams are mad at you they are telling you something. It might be time to test a couple times a day for a few days to see what your trends look like.
Thanks @Hincapiej4
Have a Trident and also have a few Hanna checkers!
Check Po4 and No3 weekly since I started noticing the problem!

My encrusting corals frags that I picked up @ RAP Orlando are not "encrusting" and are bleaching.
No coral seems happy except the Zoas, they are open but no significant growth!

Don't know what else to look for.
I will send off for another ICP test at the end of the month and switch back to the salt I started with!

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an FYI....

RO/DI is like a sponge, it will pick up anything floating in the air. I use brutes with lids, but they are not airtight. In a week my RO/DI will go from 0 freshly made, to over 100TDS. Thats just from picking things up in the air.

The ICP you posted, was that water that had been sitting(old bins), and the new bins was freshly made?

Your containers may not have been leeching anything at all, and more then likely not the cause of your problem.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Reefer4fun
Have 2 XR15's G4 on AB+ schedule @ about 50%
1-hr ramp up starting at 11:30am and an 1-hr ramp down starting at 8:30pm
I haven't fussed with the lights since they were flipped on and everything was fine for months!
Now, What I haven't done is a PAR mapping....since I'm looking at switching over to new lights towards the end of the year!

Thanks @Hincapiej4
Have a Trident and also have a few Hanna checkers!
Check Po4 and No3 weekly since I started noticing the problem!

My encrusting corals frags that I picked up @ RAP Orlando are not "encrusting" and are bleaching.
No coral seems happy except the Zoas, they are open but no significant growth!

Don't know what else to look for.
I will send off for another ICP test at the end of the month and switch back to the salt I started with!
For coraline to grow, your alk, cal, mag has to be stable.

OP
OP
um_fan5

um_fan5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an FYI....

RO/DI is like a sponge, it will pick up anything floating in the air. I use brutes with lids, but they are not airtight. In a week my RO/DI will go from 0 freshly made, to over 100TDS. Thats just from picking things up in the air.

The ICP you posted, was that water that had been sitting(old bins), and the new bins was freshly made?

Your containers may not have been leeching anything at all, and more then likely not the cause of your problem.
Yup...bought new holding tanks with screw on lid.
ICP test was from the DT.
This time I'm also going to send off sample of the RODI

For coraline to grow, your alk, cal, mag has to be stable.
For the most part they are stable now...little fluctuation!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 40 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back