Rossmont Riser

magicwhistle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I posted earlier about noise coming from a Rossmont pump I’m using.

People recommended to ensure the plumbing wasn’t causing noise by vibrating against anything. So I loosened off all the connection points and even if the plumbing is floating in air it still makes the noise.

It was also recommended to use silicone hose rather than vinyl. So I did that too. Same amount of noise going on.

I decided to give it time but it hasn’t stopped being rather loud.

Took it apart today to see if maybe something inside is wrong. The impeller looks completely fine there was no dirt or anything along it. It does however wobble inside there idk if that’s normal.

There was a white mark along the inside of the cap though.
CFE05C6F-358E-49D8-9D58-1A2F2B60BD3D.jpeg

So I decided to run it dry see what happens. It says it’s designed to be able to so no harm should happen.

This is what it sounds like out of water:

This is in water (the humming. The splashing is cause I just turned it back so wasn’t at full siphon yet):

Is this normal for this product? Anyone else have experience with it? I don’t mind buying another pump (probably gonna go dc) but would rather this one work so I’m not out 140$.

It’s hard to quantify how loud it is but for perspective it’s audible anywhere in our apartment and it’s definitely the most audible part of that room when you go in there.

OP
OP
M

magicwhistle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok looks like the videos might not have worked in the site.

Basically out of water it vibrates like crazy (enough to move itself) and it makes a rhythmic rubbing noise. In water it’s a very loud hum.

slojim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been eyeballing one. That looks like the 850, since the rx pumps have directional impellers. Maybe that white line means the impeller is rubbing. Is it new?

OP
OP
M

magicwhistle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been eyeballing one. That looks like the 850, since the rx pumps have directional impellers. Maybe that white line means the impeller is rubbing. Is it new?
Yeah it’s been running for 3 weeks or so

OP
OP
M

magicwhistle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I decided to just give up on this pump. I remember someone else saying they had issues with rossmont motors being loud.

Purchased a jebao dc pump and I’m just gonna have my tank run without the sump running until it gets here. Was just insanely loud. Didn’t have much in the sump anyway right now. Ran carbon for a few days and a filter sock. So doesn’t seem necessary.

Took some sound readings. Roughly 4-5ft away from the tank and it was reading 47-50db with cabinet closed. With cabinet open and right beside the number was up over 60db. With a baseline while the pump is off around 30-35db. Just ridiculous. And it’s not just the dB of the sound it’s that it’s this constant humming that you can hear everywhere its like it travels crazy well. Would not recommend it.

Having it off right now is so blissful.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 82.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back