Rowaphos discolouration?

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First time I’ve used rowaphos, it’s only a 14g tank so only used around 5 teaspoons in a media bag, the instructions say that it doesn’t release phosphate when exhausted and to disturb the media now and again to ensure all the surface area is in contact with the water, so I did that today, pulled the bag out but saw a pink substance on the bag, thinking it was detritus I rinsed in a couple of cups of RO water, the water turned a very dark pink colour? Is this right? As it looked like something I wouldn’t want in my tank?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Its the ferris oxide residue you are seeing

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Is that safe? And should I rinse before use even though the instructions say not too.
Usually recommend to rinse- residue not dangerous, just ugly

MrDLHughesY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you see a lot of discolouration when rinsing? I was shocked at how dark the water went from only a small amount, think I’ll rinse in future.
Yeah I just rinse till the discolouration of the water has gone usually a few seconds. Don’t squeeze the excess water out either otherwise it will dicoulour again when water runs through it

OP
OP
Reef.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I just rinse till the discolouration of the water has gone usually a few seconds. Don’t squeeze the excess water out either otherwise it will dicoulour again when water runs through it

Yeah definitely rinsing in future, weird how they say not to rinse.

Also bought some small micron media bags, was using 180 micron, I know smaller micron bags are unlikely to help with this, but I also rinsed the carbon at the same time (wasn’t sure which was the rowaphos) and noticed very small carbon bits in the water, even tho is was rinsed, think I may have over done it...25 microns!

Back