Royal gramma acting aggressive

80greeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just bought a royal gramma and clownfish and they are currently in quarantine in a 13.5 fluval evo. The royal gramma is nipping the clownfish is he goes near his side of tank. I know they are territorial (especially in a smaller tank) but worried he will continue to nip my other fish when he is moved into DT (80g). I’ve had problems with nipping fish and had to tank out Rock work and corals in order to get them out and don’t want to have that problem again. What should I do?

Nigel35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Royal gramma's once established in a tank claim an area as their territory in a cave or rock outcrop. Any fish that gets to close to its will be warded off. You might notice that the gramma opens its jaw very wide revealing its teeth and in your case nipping has occurred. This is very common and soon other fish will learn to avoid that area which the gramma has claimed. In the 80g you should not have any issues whatsoever.

Kongar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My gramma beat up my clowns for about a year. Now it's turning the other way around as the clowns are almost the same size. I think you'll be ok in the long run.

and my gramma beats up my inverts as well :) he's always knocking snails around - he's a jerk :)

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
normal behavior ime too.
if you already don't have it would consider adding some pipe for the gramma to chill in while in qt and possibly a 2 piece eggcrate divider that is offset so they can't get to each other until the get to the display.

Mr.OK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My royal gamma is pretty chill and hides in caves, but i saw him few days nippy at my blue-green chromis out the blue. Mouth wide open and chasing it down. was odd to see as he never shows him self, but to get food.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just bought a royal gramma and clownfish and they are currently in quarantine in a 13.5 fluval evo. The royal gramma is nipping the clownfish is he goes near his side of tank. I know they are territorial (especially in a smaller tank) but worried he will continue to nip my other fish when he is moved into DT (80g). I’ve had problems with nipping fish and had to tank out Rock work and corals in order to get them out and don’t want to have that problem again. What should I do?
I have one in an 80 and no issues. My clownfish are much worse.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back