Royal Gramma acting really weird

Morgan Rodgers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! My royal gramma has been acting extremely weird over the last 1-2 days, and I was wondering if this is cause for concern. He has not been hiding in the rockwork like he typically does; instead he has been sitting in the corner of my tank or swimming up and down the corner.

Attachments

• IMG_0659.mov
    19.8 MB

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine did this, he would hide most of the time, then one day he had a personality change, he came out and as your has, he started to sit in the open on the sand and go deliberately into the other fish’s area, he died a few days later, was very sad to watch it play out, hope this is not what is happening to yours.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi all! My royal gramma has been acting extremely weird over the last 1-2 days, and I was wondering if this is cause for concern. He has not been hiding in the rockwork like he typically does; instead he has been sitting in the corner of my tank or swimming up and down the corner.
Lighting is quite dark to see any imperfections on body/skin but fish is surfing which may or may not be cause for concern, however start with water quality - Assure ammonia not elevated and fish has no dots or scratching behavior.
Any other tankmates intimidating it?

OP
OP
M

Morgan Rodgers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting is quite dark to see any imperfections on body/skin but fish is surfing which may or may not be cause for concern, however start with water quality - Assure ammonia not elevated and fish has no dots or scratching behavior.
Any other tankmates intimidating it?
I have a clownfish pair which tend to be pretty aggressive but he normally js chills in the rocks so they’re not an issue. I got a blenny recently who is literally a 1/4 inch and a peppermint to deal w aiptasia, and than I assume I have a few bristlewroms bc there is no way to completely eliminate them.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have a clownfish pair which tend to be pretty aggressive but he normally js chills in the rocks so they’re not an issue. I got a blenny recently who is literally a 1/4 inch and a peppermint to deal w aiptasia, and than I assume I have a few bristlewroms bc there is no way to completely eliminate them.
Clowns may or may not play a role as well as new introductions

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see this when there is a lack of hiding spaces, often because some other fish has taken over its previous hiding place(s).

One big clue is - is the gramma still eating well? If not, there may be a health related reason that this is happening.

Jay

OP
OP
M

Morgan Rodgers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see this when there is a lack of hiding spaces, often because some other fish has taken over its previous hiding place(s).

One big clue is - is the gramma still eating well? If not, there may be a health related reason that this is happening.

Jay
I did recently restructure the tank, but I thought I put enough hiding spaces, he seems to be swimming around fine now. I will toss another rock in just so he is less stressed.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back