Royal Gramma Nipped at

ParkerK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in my 32 gallon biocube I’ve recently lost one of my clowns, and I’ve noticed my royal gramma is being less active. My other clown is super happy and just started hosting my BTA. The other fish is my melanarus wrasse which I think could be a culprit for nipping at my gramma. My gramma has lost some of its fin and I’m not sure what’s the reason. Any ideas?

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live aquaria say the melanarus wrasse wants 50 gallons or more. Even though they are a peaceful fish, to small of a tank could be cause for any fish to show aggression. It's not always about the bio load in a tank but also how active a fish is.
Have you seen any aggression? Or is this just speculation?

Last edited:

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IoLive aquaria say the melanarus wrasse wants 50 gallons or more. Even though they are a peaceful fish, to small of a tank could be cause for any fish to show aggression. It's not always about the bio load in a tank but also how active a fish is.
+1

OP
OP
ParkerK

ParkerK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live aquaria say the melanarus wrasse wants 50 gallons or more. Even though they are a peaceful fish, to small of a tank could be cause for any fish to show aggression. It's not always about the bio load in a tank but also how active a fish is.
Speculation. My guy at the store wouldn’t sell me it if he didn’t think my tank was big enough. He won’t let me buy anything that’s too big.

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speculation. My guy at the store wouldn’t sell me it if he didn’t think my tank was big enough. He won’t let me buy anything that’s too big.
Melanarus needs space as they swim a lot and this may lead to aggression. Unfortunately LFS is not always the best source of information.

Deep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in my 32 gallon biocube I’ve recently lost one of my clowns, and I’ve noticed my royal gramma is being less active. My other clown is super happy and just started hosting my BTA. The other fish is my melanarus wrasse which I think could be a culprit for nipping at my gramma. My gramma has lost some of its fin and I’m not sure what’s the reason. Any ideas?
It could also be the clown.

fluked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could be clowns or the wrasse, my wrasse is only half grown and in a 55G, i definitely wouldn't put him in any smaller long term. But clowns can just be evil sometimes.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back