Royal gramma throwing itself + Ick?

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys so I was watching my gramma today and saw that he threw himself against the sand bed 2 times and against the heater. I can’t get a great photo but there appears to be a few white spots on his tail.

a bit of history, I lost a clown in January to what I believe was velvet since he basically died over night and was gasping for air right before lights went out and I was feeding. I’ve had the gramma since November though so shouldn’t he have gotten infected sooner?

B75E0F91-DB21-47A1-A28A-F5BE8C9E356B.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey guys so I was watching my gramma today and saw that he threw himself against the sand bed 2 times and against the heater. I can’t get a great photo but there appears to be a few white spots on his tail.

a bit of history, I lost a clown in January to what I believe was velvet since he basically died over night and was gasping for air right before lights went out and I was feeding. I’ve had the gramma since November though so shouldn’t he have gotten infected sooner?

B75E0F91-DB21-47A1-A28A-F5BE8C9E356B.png
What you describe is scratching/darting and often associated with flukes. other signs will be rapid breathing and loss of appetite. Can you post a pic of the fish in whole under white lighting?

OP
OP
Matt Bravo

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you describe is scratching/darting and often associated with flukes. other signs will be rapid breathing and loss of appetite. Can you post a pic of the fish in whole under white lighting?
Got a few under whites, are these clear?

Attachments

• AA170EE4-6420-4619-9DE6-E7A75752A423.jpeg
    AA170EE4-6420-4619-9DE6-E7A75752A423.jpeg
    176.1 KB · Views: 61
  • BA6D719C-968C-437E-AE39-7316A220664B.jpeg
    BA6D719C-968C-437E-AE39-7316A220664B.jpeg
    175.3 KB · Views: 56
  • E00F8F04-F9AC-4B61-979D-D1B41F8304BF.jpeg
    E00F8F04-F9AC-4B61-979D-D1B41F8304BF.jpeg
    173.3 KB · Views: 52
OP
OP
Matt Bravo

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do see a few spots on the tail, and combined with scratching may indicate an early ick infection.
I’m confused, shouldent he have gotten it sooner? It’s been 6 months with no symptoms whatsoever and I just fed him and he at a huge amount

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m confused, shouldent he have gotten it sooner? It’s been 6 months with no symptoms whatsoever and I just fed him and he at a huge amount
Just a couple of months ago I had a 5 year old blue tang just show up with ick one day, with nothing added for two years!
lasted about 3 weeks nobody else caught it and it been 6 week spot free.
Mine ate well throughout the ordeal.
I have no idea what circumstances triggered this ick event.
Stable water chemistry day in day out, just a few fish in a 180g, no stress…….but nevertheless…..it still showed up.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Got a few under whites, are these clear?
Im not convinced on ich but flukes especially with mark on tail. I dont see spots on the fish other than finnage and with behavior- Recommended. . . PraziPro. To be safe , dose at 85% of recommended and apply initial dosage known as an interval for 8 days, do a water change and do one more 8 day dose interval
Use airstone with prazi as it does reduce both oxygen and appetite

OP
OP
Matt Bravo

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not convinced on ich but flukes especially with mark on tail. I dont see spots on the fish other than finnage and with behavior- Recommended. . . PraziPro. To be safe , dose at 85% of recommended and apply initial dosage known as an interval for 8 days, do a water change and do one more 8 day dose interval
Use airstone with prazi as it does reduce both oxygen and appetite
I don’t suppose I can dose prazi with coral right?

OP
OP
Matt Bravo

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a couple of months ago I had a 5 year old blue tang just show up with ick one day, with nothing added for two years!
lasted about 3 weeks nobody else caught it and it been 6 week spot free.
Mine ate well throughout the ordeal.
I have no idea what circumstances triggered this ick event.
Stable water chemistry day in day out, just a few fish in a 180g, no stress…….but nevertheless…..it still showed up.
I’m in a tight spot right now as well since I don’t have a qt tank but I do have a 6 gal bucket I can use

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 bucket can work, Look up Hyposalinty on this site.
Or TTM if you can get two buckets.
The problem is more the DT going fishless for 60 ish days.

I’m inclined not to do anything at the moment with so few spots provided he eats as normal.

But be ready with a plan if they fall off in a day or two but show up a lot more 3-4 days after.

Then all must be pulled, or, hope for the best is all you can do.

Ick doesn’t always kill every fish.

It likes the rock dwellers and tangs that lie down.

OP
OP
Matt Bravo

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 bucket can work, Look up Hyposalinty on this site.
Or TTM if you can get two buckets.
The problem is more the DT going fishless for 60 ish days.

I’m inclined not to do anything at the moment with so few spots provided he eats as normal.

But be ready with a plan if they fall off in a day or two but show up a lot more 3-4 days after.

Then all must be pulled, or, hope for the best is all you can do.

Ick doesn’t always kill every fish.

It likes the rock dwellers and tangs that lie down.
He’s the only fish in there, thank you so much for telling me about hyposalinity, I didn’t know that was a thing. I feel more comfortable lowering salinity than treating with copper I think. I’ll give it until tomorrow I think. And he’s definitely a rock dweller

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
He’s the only fish in there, thank you so much for telling me about hyposalinity, I didn’t know that was a thing. I feel more comfortable lowering salinity than treating with copper I think. I’ll give it until tomorrow I think. And he’s definitely a rock dweller
I would NOT do hyposalinity with this fish. Like gobies, can be sensitive.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Would an air stone work? Also have you ever used it and seen an effect on coral? I have a heavy amount of coral and I don’t want to lose them.
Air stone recommended and Flukes. Safe with coral and I mentioned 85% to be safe as an extra assurance to coral health. There is risk with any medication but Prazi is one of the safest

OP
OP
Matt Bravo

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Air stone recommended and Flukes. Safe with coral and I mentioned 85% to be safe as an extra assurance to coral health. There is risk with any medication but Prazi is one of the safest.
Okay so I also dose Red Sea ab+ for my corals, should I stop dosing for the time being? And what are some of the first things that I should look for if corals start going downhill?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Okay so I also dose Red Sea ab+ for my corals, should I stop dosing for the time being? And what are some of the first things that I should look for if corals start going downhill?
No polyp extensin and wilting will be first coral signs. They May do this occasionally but open back up soon thereafter and before I forget- If you have skimmer, skimmer may go nuts at first but you can turn off for 24 hours (Opportune time to clean skimmer)

OP
OP
Matt Bravo

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No polyp extensin and wilting will be first coral signs. They May do this occasionally but open back up soon thereafter and before I forget- If you have skimmer, skimmer may go nuts at first but you can turn off for 24 hours (Opportune time to clean skimmer)
Wait, both flukes and ich cause skin irritation but im leaning more towards ich since there are a few spots on his tail. I just want to make sure I’m treating the right thing. Is there any physical feature that makes you think it’s flukes?
(Thank you for all the help btw I appreciate it)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back