Royal Gramma with white patches on tail area

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey guys!

Anyone seen this on a Royal Gramma? I think it’s just from scraping against the rocks. Appeared over night.

Scrape/injury it is. This can go two ways. One great thing about saltwater fish is their ability to heal quickly and on their own. Monitor and assure its not developing into anything bacterial (sores or raw flesh). If it does, treatment will be Seachem Kanaplex or Neoplex (kanaplex my choice) in a seperate quarantine tank.
Reef safe Ruby Rally pro will work also

OP
OP
deron_d

deron_d

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scrape/injury it is. This can go two ways. One great thing about saltwater fish is their ability to heal quickly and on their own. Monitor and assure its not developing into anything bacterial (sores or raw flesh). If it does, treatment will be Seachem Kanaplex or Neoplex (kanaplex my choice) in a seperate quarantine tank.
Reef safe Ruby Rally pro will work also
Thanks so much for the advice!

OP
OP
deron_d

deron_d

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eh, I ordered the PraziPro, but it didn’t arrive within a decent timeframe. It still isn’t here due to a shipping snafu. My Royal Gramma was gasping for breath this morning and unable to swim. Easily captured with a net and placed in freshwater. Pretty significant volume of flukes in the freshwater. He didn’t survive the dip, was on the brink when I put him in there. Question though: Would this infestation mean the tank itself is at risk? Should I dose the Prazi for the other livestock who have no symptoms when it arrives?

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Eh, I ordered the PraziPro, but it didn’t arrive within a decent timeframe. It still isn’t here due to a shipping snafu. My Royal Gramma was gasping for breath this morning and unable to swim. Easily captured with a net and placed in freshwater. Pretty significant volume of flukes in the freshwater. He didn’t survive the dip, was on the brink when I put him in there. Question though: Would this infestation mean the tank itself is at risk? Should I dose the Prazi for the other livestock who have no symptoms when it arrives?
Dip will stress a fish and one that is already stressed becomes risk. Sorry to hear

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sorry to hear. Yes, if one fish in an aquarium is found to have flukes, other fish will likely have infections as well. That said, not all fluke species infect all other species equally.

What did the flukes look like in the dip?

Jay

OP
OP
deron_d

deron_d

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear. Yes, if one fish in an aquarium is found to have flukes, other fish will likely have infections as well. That said, not all fluke species infect all other species equally.

What did the flukes look like in the dip?

Jay
Apologies Jay, I didn't grab a photo. I'd say there were 20-30+ small opaque white ovals came off of the dying fish when placed into the freshwater. They were not visible to my eyes on the fish before putting in the freshwater. They varied in size. The biggest may have been 1 mm in length and half that in width, or even a tad smaller. My size estimates are weak. Apologies, this description likely isn't very helpful. The tank only has an Ocellaris Clown and CUC aside from the Royal Gramma. No corals yet, waiting on uglies to go away. The Clown has been behaving normally, and hasn't been flashing. Both fish were purchased from LFS about a month ago, and like the noob I am, I didn't quarantine or treat before putting into the tank. These were the first livestock in the tank, after about a month of cycling dry following Dr. Tim's ammonia cycle. I just acclimated both and added them. It's a pico tank, and I don't have a quarantine tank. I'm thinking to do the PraziPro cycle and give quite a bit of observation time before adding anything else to the tank.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologies Jay, I didn't grab a photo. I'd say there were 20-30+ small opaque white ovals came off of the dying fish when placed into the freshwater. They were not visible to my eyes on the fish before putting in the freshwater. They varied in size. The biggest may have been 1 mm in length and half that in width, or even a tad smaller. My size estimates are weak. Apologies, this description likely isn't very helpful. The tank only has an Ocellaris Clown and CUC aside from the Royal Gramma. No corals yet, waiting on uglies to go away. The Clown has been behaving normally, and hasn't been flashing. Both fish were purchased from LFS about a month ago, and like the noob I am, I didn't quarantine or treat before putting into the tank. These were the first livestock in the tank, after about a month of cycling dry following Dr. Tim's ammonia cycle. I just acclimated both and added them. It's a pico tank, and I don't have a quarantine tank. I'm thinking to do the PraziPro cycle and give quite a bit of observation time before adding anything else to the tank.

Those flukes do sound like Neobenedenia. Tough to treat them. I would dose the tank with prazi, 2x, nine days apart with good aeration. Be sure to dose the tank volume, not its rated size. Luckily clownfish seem less affected by this fluke than gramma are.

Jay

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 41.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 21.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back