RS-170 leaking!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Skibum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, just noticed the silicone from my RS-170 has a pinhole leak on the back pane. The tank is level, and I patched it with Tunze Coral Gum (no silicone available for immediate patch). I was able to stem the tide from a steady stream to a small 1/10 ml drip per minute.

I need solutions fast here. I need to know my patch will hold long enough for me to get another aquarium fast. And if I should just get some waterproof silicone in the a.m to patch until I have time to get another aquarium. Also, will RS provide just a tank for me to purchase? I don't need a stand, sump etc.

Help.....

upload_2017-9-17_22-44-24.png

OP
OP
Skibum

Skibum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anything in the tank? or just rock, sand and water

Yellow Tang, Kole Tang, Lawn Mower Blenny, Scooter Dragonet, Blue Spotted Watchman, Ocel Clownfish

Bali Slimer
Several Montipora
Stylophora
Tenuis
Candy Cane
Rock Anemone
Birdsnest
Pavona

Various inverts, shrimp etc.
50 lbs live rock

So yeah, not a good night tonight

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, just noticed the silicone from my RS-170 has a pinhole leak on the back pane. The tank is level, and I patched it with Tunze Coral Gum (no silicone available for immediate patch). I was able to stem the tide from a steady stream to a small 1/10 ml drip per minute.

I need solutions fast here. I need to know my patch will hold long enough for me to get another aquarium fast. And if I should just get some waterproof silicone in the a.m to patch until I have time to get another aquarium. Also, will RS provide just a tank for me to purchase? I don't need a stand, sump etc.

Help.....

upload_2017-9-17_22-44-24.png
This is why I never run just one tank at a time.

My wife would probably like me to take my 90g down but I keep it running and cycled because if I had to, u could get most of my livestock from my 225 into it long enough to have a new tank shipped in or a repair done.

In the past, I've moved my stock to the lfs while a repair or replacement gets set up.

When your ready to restart, you need to be set up for large daily water changes as their will be a small cycle even w cycled rock....if you can keep a sump refugium Goin that will help recycle.

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get a large plastic tote similarly sized to your tank (RS 170 is ~ 34 gallons?) and move your rock/corals/fish/water into that, so you have something that not going to keep you up at night while you can assess the situation and go from there. I think you can pick up a 27 gallon tote at Home Depot for ~ $20.

From there, contact Red Sea, if you are still within warranty (one year from purchase) and they should cover it for you. I know they are in Houston, so contact hasnt been great in the last week or so, but they should be able to take care of it for you. Your livestock and live in the tote until you get a new tank replacement or a new tank altogether. You may need to perform a few more water changes just to keep everything stable in the tote, but it will get you through until you can get them a new home.

OP
OP
Skibum

Skibum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get a large plastic tote similarly sized to your tank (RS 170 is ~ 34 gallons?) and move your rock/corals/fish/water into that, so you have something that not going to keep you up at night while you can assess the situation and go from there. I think you can pick up a 27 gallon tote at Home Depot for ~ $20.

From there, contact Red Sea, if you are still within warranty (one year from purchase) and they should cover it for you. I know they are in Houston, so contact hasnt been great in the last week or so, but they should be able to take care of it for you. Your livestock and live in the tote until you get a new tank replacement or a new tank altogether. You may need to perform a few more water changes just to keep everything stable in the tote, but it will get you through until you can get them a new home.

RedSea's email:

Pretty much what I expected (no warranty on used stuff).

___

Good morning,

I am very sorry to hear about the aquarium leaking. Unfortunately there is no picture to view as that did not come through in the email. Most local stores do not carry the aquariums in stock and usually just place orders for them through their distributor as they are needed for customer who want them. I also have to say we do not know which stores would have them in stock as we do not sell direct to the stores. The stores have to order the systems through their local distributor. You can check with your local store to see if they would be willing to work something out with you as this would require them taking from a complete set up. If you would like you ca also order just the tank through us. The cost for the aquarium only is going to be $621.60 and the shipping will be whatever the freight company charges. It usually runs between $150.00 and $250.00 depending on if it is shipped to a business or residence. If it is shipped to a business then the shipping cost will be less. The cost for the shipping is just strictly what the freight company charges and we never add anything to the cost of shipping.

___

621+150 = 771

That's almost the same cost as a completely new system.

I'm just going to bite the bullet here.

Plan:

Purchase new RS-Reefer 250 from @Stone

OP
OP
Skibum

Skibum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I'm on my way to Denver to buy a new reefer, the Tunze coral gum has about a ~12 hour life span for this kind of patch before it completely hardens and loses effectiveness in this "not-approved" usage. What a nightmare lol.

-Tom

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bummer, my reefer 250 hads a pinhole in the silicone but it was high enough i could drop the water level. Happened at 6m mark, so I was able to get a warranty replacement.
Sorry this happened to you, good luck on the swap out. Hope it goes smoothly

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Best of luck bud!

OP
OP
Skibum

Skibum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a saga involved in this. I will update the thread shortly. Needless to say, it involves a 14 day old infant, patient wife and several excited children.

OP
OP
Skibum

Skibum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, how old was the tank?
Tank wasn't even a year old. I'm not exactly pleased with RS... I think they should have their dealers carry extra tanks/sumps for things like this which you can purchase ala-carte with proof you have the stand sump etc. Tank failure is a reality unfortunately, and we can't just march down to the petco to get replacements for these things. For such an expensive piece of kit, you would think they would make some type of accommodations here.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really thought they'd help out with a deal at least, it's not like these tanks are budget priced to begin with. If all else fails, some duct tape can probably add some durability to that seam while you work on the setup / transfer, go nuts with it.

OP
OP
Skibum

Skibum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far, the Tunze Coral Gum has held up. I need to write them a thank you letter to them for an unintended usage success story. I have the RS-250 in my living room, setting up the space under the stairs where it will live. It is nice to have extra cabinet space. I'm going to start a build thread lol

powdertang05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might sound stupid but flex seal tape worked really well on high pressure plumping for a pool I serviced and general plumbing in the house. It's like 10 bucks and worked without any issues.

OP
OP
Skibum

Skibum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some flex-seal, I'll put that on if the Coral Gum stops working ;-). As it stands now, I'm going to move everything on Friday. I'm doing a test fill over the next few days, getting everything ready for my new "build".

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some flex-seal, I'll put that on if the Coral Gum stops working ;-). As it stands now, I'm going to move everything on Friday. I'm doing a test fill over the next few days, getting everything ready for my new "build".

Glad that this has turned into an excuse to upgrade. Too bad it was under such circumstances, but looking forward to your build!

Rick Krejci

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you were within the year warranty period and they were going to charge you for a tank plus shipping (and almost the price for an entire new system at that)? That's insane! Cool that you're getting the 250 and all, but I think you should also have your 170 that's under warranty replaced.

becks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally warranty is only valid to the original purchaser and is not transferred when sold on.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 61 85.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.2%
Back