RS NoPoX contains molybdenum???

petemichelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cut my dosing down to 7ml per day since I started using the chemi-clean. I have also started feeding less, and see if my levels of nitrate and phosphate stay down with the half regular dosage.

I run a mixed tank, with SPS, LPS, SOFTIES, AND LOTS OF ZOAS. I feed 4 cubes of frozen mysis shrimp 2 times a week, 10 ml phyto feast 1 time a week, 10ml oyster feast 1 time a week, red sea A and B 10ml each 1 time a week, and reef chili 1/2 tsp from BRS 2 times a week. I'm thinking too much probably. that's something every day. I also feed the fish which are 2 clowns, 1 pj cardinal, 2 bengal cardinal, 2 fire dart fish, 1 yellow tail damsel, 1 green chromis, 1 skunk cleaner shrimp, 1 red fire cleaner shrimp, 1 tiger pistol shrimp with his buddy a gobby. I feed them 2 pinches of pellet food, very little hits the sand bed, and live brine shrimp 3 times a day. my lighting is 3 razor lights at 70% white, and 90% blue they are on 8 hours a day.

you obviously have a lot more experience in feeding corals in the long term than I. what do you recommend keeping and what do you recommend not feeding anymore. any suggestions are greatly, greatly appreciated. thanks a lot. really, I can use the help. I have been looking for someone to really reach out and help me with the carbon dosing, but can never get any real experience people to comment.

sticky polyps

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha brotha, I know brightwell aquatic has a product to dose for either no3 and po4. They can get expensive as well though. I know people on here use potassium nitrate, available as a stump remover/killer. And also u could use ammonium chloride to raise nitrates, but obviously more dangerous for tank inhabitants.

sticky polyps

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I wouldn't change anything. As long as you have a decent skimmer and plenty of flow, I would try to be patient and let the cyano run its course while manually removing as much as possible.

How stocked with coral is your tank? Mostly what type?
Anybody else care to comment?

petemichelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mostly LPS, and Zoas right now. I have a few SPS but small as yet. I would say the tank is pretty well stocked.
IMG_1659.JPG
IMG_1662.JPG

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't know what other ppl using if you have to bump up your No3 but I use a mixture from regular stump remover and RODI water.
Can't pull up the thread as my laptop is down but maybe the [HASHTAG]#reefsquad[/HASHTAG] can help me out here.
Note: by doing so you need to test everyday for No3.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then why does Red Sea say not to use GFO when using their NoPox?? I never understood that either. I thought that maybe the combination could be what is causing the recent outbreak in cyano. Nice to know it's not, and that other hobbiest are using Gfo and Carbon Dosing. \

do you think that I may have got the initial cyano maybe from a frag or coral piece and then it fed on the Nopox and multiplied, so that if I keep hitting it with the Chemi-clean, and with my dosage currently cut in half that when I do kill it all after a couple of treatments, then I could re start my regular dosage, or start bringing it back up gradually and not get the cyano back, or do you think that even with no cyano in the tank, that once I start with the same dosage of Nopox as before, (15ml per day) that it will come back???

what do people usually use to dose Nitrates?

I've not seen that specific statement from Red Sea, but presumably they do not want people lowering phosphate too much where it might become so low that it limits nitrate reduction (which can happen). Perhaps they also are worried about the GFO binding some of the other ingredients they add, but that's not possible to address without knowing what they are.

Your plan seems like a reasonable one. Watching and waiting also seems reasonable to me. :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back