RS NoPoX contains molybdenum???

MikeyAl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have built an ATS that I've been running for 2 weeks- so hopefully it will do the trick and I can move away from dosing altogether.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have built an ATS that I've been running for 2 weeks- so hopefully it will do the trick and I can move away from dosing altogether.

You have a picture to show us or is it under a patent license ;)

MikeyAl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually have one one iPhone from a pic I took over the weekend. Here you go.
5ae48cd447f21625d354e825f5b42bc2.jpg

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure. Not home yet, but happy to later.
It's nothing fancy- waterfall type- pvc frame with a scuffed up mesh and a simple light.

No biggie but it's for many other hobbyist a eye opener how you can build yourself one and reduce Po4 and No3.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here you go, frag tank ATS keeps 250 gallons of water at bay with Po4 at 0.04 and No3 at 2.5
ATS2-L.jpg

Parts.......... $3.15 :eek:
ATS1-XL.jpg

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The one on my Diesel :D.............. is an extra, just incase if a local hobbyist needs one, Diesel is always playing Santa Claus.
Yes, Algae grows fast, that is about two weeks and my Tangs in the DT are racing for it.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, Algae grows fast, that is about two weeks and my Tangs in the DT are racing for it.

It's nice when you can get a double benefit like that. :)

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's nice when you can get a double benefit like that. :)

Isn't that always a benefit we strive for in a hobby that it pays back into the hobby itself, grow algae to reduce nutrients or better said control them.
The same time you harvest the algae to feed your fish.
Growing corals and pass them on for new corals or sell them as you can buy that new pump or light or one of Randy's books :D and if the corals don't sell (which sometimes happens) you can refill your Calcium reactor again.
Always a win win if you doing it right. :rolleyes:

Not to mention if you fortuned enough you can donate nice corals for a good cause which is helping the whole community again.

petemichelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
has anybody had any issues with cyano when dosing red sea no pox? i've been dosing no pox from red sea for a couple of years now but in the last 2 months have had an outbreak of cyano. it seems when I cut the no pox out there cyano goes away. I was running 15ml a day through a doser, split into 6 times a day. I have a 150 gal with a sump. I cut the dosage in half and did a chemi clean and a water change yesterday. waiting to see if it comes back and then maybe creep the dosage back up and keep an eye on my nitrates, and phosphates. I also run a reactor with carbon and GFO in it. I know it says I shouldn't use the GFO but when I stop the GfO, my phosphates go up. anybody else running GFO as well as the Red Sea no pox at the same time? how about you guys just running the Red sea No pox without GFO, are you running any carbon? how long did it take for your phosphates to finally come down. they say it takes longer than the nitrates, but nomattter how long I waited, the phosphates never came down. I would say I waited like 2-3 months running Nopox without GFO.

anyway as for the cyano, does anybody have this issue and what did you do???

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's a 100G Eheim.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
has anybody had any issues with cyano when dosing red sea no pox? i've been dosing no pox from red sea for a couple of years now but in the last 2 months have had an outbreak of cyano. it seems when I cut the no pox out there cyano goes away. I was running 15ml a day through a doser, split into 6 times a day. I have a 150 gal with a sump. I cut the dosage in half and did a chemi clean and a water change yesterday. waiting to see if it comes back and then maybe creep the dosage back up and keep an eye on my nitrates, and phosphates. I also run a reactor with carbon and GFO in it. I know it says I shouldn't use the GFO but when I stop the GfO, my phosphates go up. anybody else running GFO as well as the Red Sea no pox at the same time? how about you guys just running the Red sea No pox without GFO, are you running any carbon? how long did it take for your phosphates to finally come down. they say it takes longer than the nitrates, but nomattter how long I waited, the phosphates never came down. I would say I waited like 2-3 months running Nopox without GFO.

anyway as for the cyano, does anybody have this issue and what did you do???

Organic carbon dosing of all kinds can have a tendency to boost cyanobacteria, because like other bacteria, some species can consume and metabolize the organics as their means of getting energy. When I started organic carbon dosing (with vodka), I saw it boost cyano, so that's why i switched to vinegar. I guess I happened to have species that preferred the ethanol of vodka to the acetate of vinegar because I got a lot less cyanobacteria with vinegar. So I would comment that your result is not that unusual. Getting the phosphate down may help with the cyano, or switching to a different carbon source, or an entirely different method (like macroalgae, ATS, etc.).

As to GFO, many people use GFO along with organic carbon dosing because it is often overloaded to reduction of nitrate becasue it spurs denitrification as well as ordinary aerobic metabolism. Denitrification consumes nitrate far in excess of phospahte, often leaving phospahte behind when the nitrate runs out. SO the options to reduce phosphate then include a phosphate export method such as GFO, or dosing nitrate to keep the system running and exporting phosphate. I use GFO with my vinegar (and other methods like macroalgae), but more and more people are choosing the nitrate addition approach, which can be seen in several active threads.

petemichelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Organic carbon dosing of all kinds can have a tendency to boost cyanobacteria, because like other bacteria, some species can consume and metabolize the organics as their means of getting energy. When I started organic carbon dosing (with vodka), I saw it boost cyano, so that's why i switched to vinegar. I guess I happened to have species that preferred the ethanol of vodka to the acetate of vinegar because I got a lot less cyanobacteria with vinegar. So I would comment that your result is not that unusual. Getting the phosphate down may help with the cyano, or switching to a different carbon source, or an entirely different method (like macroalgae, ATS, etc.).

As to GFO, many people use GFO along with organic carbon dosing because it is often overloaded to reduction of nitrate becasue it spurs denitrification as well as ordinary aerobic metabolism. Denitrification consumes nitrate far in excess of phospahte, often leaving phospahte behind when the nitrate runs out. SO the options to reduce phosphate then include a phosphate export method such as GFO, or dosing nitrate to keep the system running and exporting phosphate. I use GFO with my vinegar (and other methods like macroalgae), but more and more people are choosing the nitrate addition approach, which can be seen in several active threads.

Then why does Red Sea say not to use GFO when using their NoPox?? I never understood that either. I thought that maybe the combination could be what is causing the recent outbreak in cyano. Nice to know it's not, and that other hobbiest are using Gfo and Carbon Dosing. \

do you think that I may have got the initial cyano maybe from a frag or coral piece and then it fed on the Nopox and multiplied, so that if I keep hitting it with the Chemi-clean, and with my dosage currently cut in half that when I do kill it all after a couple of treatments, then I could re start my regular dosage, or start bringing it back up gradually and not get the cyano back, or do you think that even with no cyano in the tank, that once I start with the same dosage of Nopox as before, (15ml per day) that it will come back???

what do people usually use to dose Nitrates?

sticky polyps

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your more likely to have a cyano problem from dosings amino acids. And cyano is everywhere, you didn't introduce it to you tank from a frag plug. The reason carbon dosing can fuel cyano is because it is actually a bacteria and if carbon is the limiting energy source for the cyano bacteria, it would encourage more growth. How old is the tank? Are u asking what people use to dose nitrates because yours are at zero?
I am always careful that I don't put band aids on my system, it should be a stable system

petemichelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my tank is a 150 gal, with sump, 135 water volume, its about 2 years old. when I was using there 15ml per day, and the GFO, 2 1/2 cups, in a reactor, plus regular carbon mixed in so that it wouldn't congeal together, I was getting a stable 2-5 nitrates, and .02-.04 phosphate. which I thought was very stable.

I was asking about what everyone else uses to dose nitrate because It would be an option to stop using GFO if I chose. GFO is pretty expensive for one thing, but also just because I thought at first that that may be a cause to the cyano, and Red Sea says not to use GFO when using their Nopox.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 22.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back