OP
drcole

drcole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6BE07390-BFD8-438C-8160-E13010C5E07A.jpeg
This thing is lit! Loving the Kessils I picked up from here. The pictures come out way more blue than what I see to the naked eye. Cycling going on 2 weeks, going to add fish in a couple more!

OP
OP
drcole

drcole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loving the rockwork under blues!
Funny thing is that is an iPhone picture under the whitest whites lol. I don’t know how to get the blue out of the picture!

Also, originally wasn’t a fan of the scape when I put it together in my garage, but now that it’s in the tank, and now with lights, I am starting to like it a lot more.

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny thing is that is an iPhone picture under the whitest whites lol. I don’t know how to get the blue out of the picture!

Also, originally wasn’t a fan of the scape when I put it together in my garage, but now that it’s in the tank, and now with lights, I am starting to like it a lot more.

I bought one of those poly lab lens filters for the iPhone. I am still not good at pics but it does get rid of blue...ish

OP
OP
drcole

drcole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good so far - love the scaping - simple but functional.
Thanks, my favorite scaping is with the shelf rock and the stax they have out now but I was given this branch and figured I had to do something with it. I want to add to the left side but not sure if I should stay with the branch or considering doing some of the shapes??

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The filters work to bring out the detail on the blues on my iPhone. I personally do not like the overall temperature of the color under those types of filters though. Either way I tend to use the free Photoshop App to correct the color, whites and blacks.

Blutspitze

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, my favorite scaping is with the shelf rock and the stax they have out now but I was given this branch and figured I had to do something with it. I want to add to the left side but not sure if I should stay with the branch or considering doing some of the shapes??

Depends on what shapes/sizes you have available. If you want to go for the common artistic argument of the tank's focal points, a similar structure on the other side could work - maybe a bit "blockier" so there's contrast between them, or have most of the openings perpendicular to the others you currently have (i.e. openings on left/right of tank rather than front/back)

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t mean to hi jack your thread but here is an app that will take a lot of blue out of your pictures. I don’t know if you can get it on Android too.
2C69AD80-1096-4D78-BD1E-6D89399114FE.png

31D8096F-B03E-4BA0-9869-FC30E2A70EDE.png

OP
OP
drcole

drcole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t mean to hi jack your thread but here is an app that will take a lot of blue out of your pictures. I don’t know if you can get it on Android too.
2C69AD80-1096-4D78-BD1E-6D89399114FE.png

31D8096F-B03E-4BA0-9869-FC30E2A70EDE.png
I bought the app but have been having water clarity issues so nothing I take is up to par at this point. I just got my protein skimmer going as I was letting it be during the cycle. Less than 24 hours later there is a huge water clarity change.

OP
OP
drcole

drcole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE!! I added 3 blue/green chromis when my bottled bacteria and rotting shrimp cycle didn't quite spike like I hoped. The chromis were doing good. I noticed a few days ago one hiding and not coming out to eat, no visible signs of illness. Tested my water and the ammonia was 0.25, nitrates 0. That fish went missing, no evidence of a body, possibly cleaned up by 5 hermits I have roaming the tank. Since that day, I got my protein skimmer going and have dropped my ammonia to 0. Other 2 fish are doing well and zoas I have have responded well and are more open than ever.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE!! I added 3 blue/green chromis when my bottled bacteria and rotting shrimp cycle didn't quite spike like I hoped. The chromis were doing good. I noticed a few days ago one hiding and not coming out to eat, no visible signs of illness. Tested my water and the ammonia was 0.25, nitrates 0. That fish went missing, no evidence of a body, possibly cleaned up by 5 hermits I have roaming the tank. Since that day, I got my protein skimmer going and have dropped my ammonia to 0. Other 2 fish are doing well and zoas I have have responded well and are more open than ever.
I have often read of Chromis killing each other off. Crabs may have taken care of the carcass. Just pure speculation though.

Blutspitze

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Do you know if the chromis were housed together wherever they came from? If so, it's probably less likely aggression, but the ammonia may have hit one that was particularly sensitive or the like.

OP
OP
drcole

drcole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know if the chromis were housed together wherever they came from? If so, it's probably less likely aggression, but the ammonia may have hit one that was particularly sensitive or the like.
They were together, I have a feeling it may have been the ammonia.

OP
OP
drcole

drcole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have got a mid tank crisis I guess. I got acro fever and I am going to be upgrading my lights next week. Have been battling green algae, going to do a deep clean of the tank and see where it gets me. Going to be upgrading to 2 xr15 pros with diffusers, couldn't be more excited!!

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build!
Picture tip: if you have polarized sunglasses, hold them in front of the camera lens. It will get rid of the blue and still capture the coral’s color.

OP
OP
drcole

drcole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, the XR15s are mounted and looking great. I found that my algae issue is linked to a higher phosphate, currently at 0.32. Woorking on lowering that with NoPox. Did a deep clean and continuing to dose NoPox daily to help control and the cyano is barely coming back. My tank is in the best spot it has been in in a while, I just want to get things right so I can jump into the acro game. All I really want are like 15 solid acros going, but I'm sure that wont be enough. To also help with my phosphates I have a BRS dual reactor on order (currently out of stock) to run GFO.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back