RSR 450 silicone guard fell off

Paleozoic_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A friend of mine is sticking to freshwater and gave me his RSR 450 (and equipment) for free.
IMG_7099.jpeg

Obviously I’m not going to pass that up, even though an extra tank was never in my plans. The tank is ~6 years and in great condition. All the seams look good and water tested for two weeks in the garage.
IMG_7131.jpeg

During the cleaning and pre-water testing one of the plastic silicone guards on the side was coming off about 1/2 way and so I just removed the whole thing.
IMG_7161.jpeg

It looks like it was 1/2 off for a long time based on the amount of carbonate build up on it. My questions are:

I’m I OK with out it or do these guards provide any structural support?

Would it be worth it to get some top Eurobraces on the tank?

The tank is still in my garage as I get new plumbing, GFCI outlet and do some waterproofing of the baseboards in the event a leak happens in the distant future.

Any thoughts or recommendations are appreciated!

nickng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A friend of mine is sticking to freshwater and gave me his RSR 450 (and equipment) for free.
IMG_7099.jpeg

Obviously I’m not going to pass that up, even though an extra tank was never in my plans. The tank is ~6 years and in great condition. All the seams look good and water tested for two weeks in the garage.
IMG_7131.jpeg

During the cleaning and pre-water testing one of the plastic silicone guards on the side was coming off about 1/2 way and so I just removed the whole thing.
IMG_7161.jpeg

It looks like it was 1/2 off for a long time based on the amount of carbonate build up on it. My questions are:

I’m I OK with out it or do these guards provide any structural support?

Would it be worth it to get some top Eurobraces on the tank?

The tank is still in my garage as I get new plumbing, GFCI outlet and do some waterproofing of the baseboards in the event a leak happens in the distant future.

Any thoughts or recommendations are appreciated!
Just curious is the plastic guard a flat piece or is it a rod with a triangular crossection?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Older 450 thats been drained, and moved. I wouldn't touch it with a 50 foot pole.

Great tanks, but once moved is when we see the seems splitting. No idea what causes it, but they tend to fail once drained and moved.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 131 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.1%
Back