Rubble, Rock or NOTHING in the Sump?

Do you prefer rubble rock, larger rocks or no rock in your sump and why?

• Rubble

Votes: 138 36.1%
  • Larger Rock

Votes: 105 27.5%
  • Nothing

Votes: 93 24.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 46 12.0%

• Total voters

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Three Marine Pure Blocks for me.
The SA they provide is huge.
I never even had to add any chaeto or light either and they mop up great.
Had them forever. 10C42DDC-B073-4ACC-AF9B-832389C1522D.jpeg

Reefvision

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have small amount of rubble rock in refugium section not lit anymore as nitrate is reading 0 with Red Sea testing. Also only filimentous algea was growing. I have a separate section with plastic bucket 1/2 full of live sand approx 3gals worth that is basically in oxygenated as only surface flows over bucket and cal reactor sits on top of sand instead of tbottom of sump . I also use matrix and scintered rings .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 91
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 101

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have some small rocks and Brightwell bricks in my sumps mainly for use when setting up new tanks.

Auntjemimma

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have 2 Brightwell ceramic plates in mine but not sure they really add much. Sponges love to grow on them but I don't care for sponges in my tanks. They become a nuisance and choke out corals.

I don't think adding rubble is worth it unless you specifically want an area for detritus to collect for pods.
These add A TON of surface area for bacteria / pods. Super beneficial imo.

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is something I'm strongly considering, can you elaborate on ? Sand used, and the reactors?
It’s been awhile and my info may be dated: Fluidized sand beds will convert ammonia to nitrates effectively but to convert nitrate to nitrogen you need a dark anaerobic (no light, low O2, and low flow) area with high surface area.

shneerf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sand is way more surface area and 2 inches deep is plenty oxygenated. One volume of sand is thousands to hundreds of thousands times more surface area than one volume of rock.

Young@Heart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had rubble in my sump - but I started my tank that way. I just removed the rubble in anticipation of using the space for some of the LR that I am replacing when I redo my aquascape in a about 3 Weeks. I will probably keep some of the extra LR from the DT in the sump until I see the new aquascape has started its bio filter job.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been awhile and my info may be dated: Fluidized sand beds will convert ammonia to nitrates effectively but to convert nitrate to nitrogen you need a dark anaerobic (no light, low O2, and low flow) area with high surface area.
I guess I should have been more specific, as I understand the theory of the fluidized sandbed, many are in solid colored (dark) containers.
My question about details was in reference to the picture you posted.
What reactors are you using, and what sand? I would think that coral based sand would grind against itself and slowly flush out the reactors in a fine sediment that would collect either I. The sump or display?

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
These add A TON of surface area for bacteria / pods. Super beneficial imo.
That's what they say but real world results haven't shown me any benefits. They are much more a place for detrirtus to become trapped and then flow through them is restricted or blocked. I could pull mine and likely not see a single issue from it.

This is actually my plan for the my new 260g peninsula. I will take at least one of them out to insta cycle the new tank.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sand is way more surface area and 2 inches deep is plenty oxygenated. One volume of sand is thousands to hundreds of thousands times more surface area than one volume of rock.
Collects more detritus too though, but the fluidized sandbed would counter that issue.
I was considering a mesh container of sand also, as this is a bare bottom system for high flow.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
1. Do you prefer rubble rock, larger rocks or no rock in your sump and why?

I utilize larger rock for more surface area as water passes through the sump

2. Have you noticed a difference in the stability of your tank with the addition of more rock in your sump?

Hard to tell as I have multiple tanks which are very stable but im sure it is a contributor and factor

Islandvib3s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well i ran alot of media to make up for the lack of rock in my display tank,sump had lavarock,live rock,bio rock,crushed coral. but i just recently started pulling more and more out so who knows whats next lol

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's just a pump and a pipe into a container of sand, no detritus here...
DIY king made a diy vid on it

Your actually running one yourself? Are you using pool filter sand? What's it made of? Done an icp test on it?

Back