Rubble, Rock or NOTHING in the Sump?

BRS

Do you prefer rubble rock, larger rocks or no rock in your sump and why?

• Rubble

Votes: 132 36.1%
  • Larger Rock

Votes: 101 27.6%
  • Nothing

Votes: 91 24.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 42 11.5%

• Total voters

shneerf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Collects more detritus too though, but the fluidized sandbed would counter that issue.
I was considering a mesh container of sand also, as this is a bare bottom system for high flow.
I think sand in a sump would be fine with the filters before it. I've had sand in a sump, never cleaned it in 2 years and never had an issue with detritus. Wouldn't a fluidized sand bed break up into tiny particles over time? Not sure if that would be an issue if it did anyway.

OldSchool Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
As much rock as you can squeeze in there the better! Any size it doesn’t matter.
5303B329-43E5-4992-A00E-B1B3A1C6B276.jpeg

Dannielou

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I maintains an average of two pounds of Chaeto in my sump to keep PO4 under control and works great. Rocks are dirty and from past experience with live rock, you do not know what you are going to get. Perhaps clean lava rock may offer a clean experience.

Shooter6

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I think sand in a sump would be fine with the filters before it. I've had sand in a sump, never cleaned it in 2 years and never had an issue with detritus. Wouldn't a fluidized sand bed break up into tiny particles over time? Not sure if that would be an issue if it did anyway.
Yes that is my question too about the fluidized sandbed. Only reason I'm considering adding any sand to the sump is to add live sand, to up my bacterial strain diversity since this system is bare bottom.

Reefvision

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Putting sand in small bucket and no light would allow for some denitrifying bacteria to get going as long as water in sump is not “ through the sand “ and just flows over the top of bucket . Not sure where I read this but seems plausible to me .

Shooter6

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Putting sand in small bucket and no light would allow for some denitrifying bacteria to get going as long as water in sump is not “ through the sand “ and just flows over the top of bucket . Not sure where I read this but seems plausible to me .
My current idea is to use a couple of the black baskets from hm depot we use for nems. Place the sand in them, possibly line them with the mesh used in algae scrubbers if the sand is to fine, then elevate the baskets off the sump floor with pvc this will allow flow all around the sand. Having the baskets after the filter floss pads and skimmer should minimize detritus buildup in it so no need to vacuum it. If anything throw some of the sand snails in each basket to keep it from compacting over time.

Reefvision

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Sounds ok -I have my( bucket o sand) after socks in section where normally a skimmer would be but I pump from there to remote skimmer then back to sump. There’s flow over this bucket but not a lot as that would cause a “sandstorm “ and not allow the denitrifying action I’m after. I have no detritus build up in bucket and sand is not turning to rock so far anyway.

phillygeeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I have 50 pounds of LR I have kept going in a vat for almost 2 years now. I plan to place that in my sump with a dry rock scape in the DT. Fingers crossed this gives me success of having established rock to offset the downside of dry rock

BRS

What's the main reason you take on DIY reefing projects?

• Save Money

Votes: 109 34.7%
  • You Like To Make Things

Votes: 111 35.4%
  • Necessity, you want it a certain way

Votes: 78 24.8%
  • Time, you need it quick

Votes: 5 1.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 11 3.5%
Industrial Test Systems, Inc.