Ruby Head & Solon Fairy Wrasse Fighting

Johnson556

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a red head Solon fair wrasse (Cirrhilabrus solorensis) for about two months now, last night I added a ruby head Solon fairy wrasse (Cirrhilabrus cf cyanopleura). The established Solon wrasse started fighting quite aggressively with the Ruby head.

Ruby head is now tucked under a rock and I’m worried it will be dead in a few days. I’ve seen the Solon go in and hit it a few times.

Was it stupid to try and put these two together, or is there a chance they’ll stop fighting in a few days time. Really like this Ruby head would hate to see it perish.

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Cirrhilabrus solorensis are known to be aggressive with other Cirrhilabrus. Your best bet would be to use a social acclimation box for any new wrasse addition.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a red head Solon fair wrasse (Cirrhilabrus solorensis) for about two months now, last night I added a ruby head Solon fairy wrasse (Cirrhilabrus cf cyanopleura). The established Solon wrasse started fighting quite aggressively with the Ruby head.

Ruby head is now tucked under a rock and I’m worried it will be dead in a few days. I’ve seen the Solon go in and hit it a few times.

Was it stupid to try and put these two together, or is there a chance they’ll stop fighting in a few days time. Really like this Ruby head would hate to see it perish.

I would get the Ruby out and into a QT tank ASAP. Then get a acclimation box and try that.

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The solorensis can be a bit aggressive with the other fairy wrasses, but I think the bigger issue is that these two are from the same complex and thus not very compatable with one another.

Keep either, and replace the other with a fairy wrasse from a different complex and you should fare better.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back