Ruby30E

Flexin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked this up today to replace my r-100 eshopps after a few years of use. Looking for ideas on plumbing this. Picture below with on down spout from the back left and the return is next to that also on the back left. I have grey pipe, a few 45’s, 90’s and two gate valves at the moment.

It seems you can do a few things:
  • Split the drain line from the tank to one sock and the refugium.
  • T off from the return pump
  • Use a small pump that sits inside the sump
  • Feed both socks and the refugium from the drain
i’m not sure if the fourth option will be too busy. Since I only have one drain line that would mean I would have to split to the refugium and one of the sock inlets, and then split that sock inlet out so that I’m going into both socks.

Looking for thoughts or any experience from anyone on this and with the plumbing. This will be the first time for me running pipe versus just using the hose. I had someone also recommend that I run a pipe up and out above the tank as an air vent saying that would increase flow decrease noise. What are your thoughts on this?

I appreciate any thoughts and input folks can give. I think I’m gonna draw out a few things and I’ll share them with you too. But again I want to try to have an install that’s not gonna make too much noise and I’m not an expert at this so looking for any help that can be given. Thank you hope everyone is well.

The first picture is the current set up, and the second and third is the new sump.

0D8E98F3-B11F-469B-8C61-DB38FE6FD85B.jpeg 4459CA00-70E0-4F21-8B54-566EED240286.jpeg 18E0D046-0A50-4672-A777-D2723F4BE514.jpeg

jradishness

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not an expert either, and I can’t speak to the vent idea, but I’ll try to speak to your question of where to plumb the drain. It looks to me like the refugium section overflows into the socks (this would need confirmed). Maybe I’m wrong, I have no experience with this particular sump, and I’m only using your photos for reference, but it looks like if you only have one drain, running it to the refugium first would be the way to go. If you had an emergency drain, or more overflows, then I’d plumb those to the socks directly.

OP
OP
Flexin

Flexin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also needed to note this is a corner flow DT.

The refugium compartment overflows into the sock compartment but not the socks themselves. I would like to use them, fingers crossed based on feedback.

I’ve been staring at this for an hour or two and here is what I have so far:

Referring to the first photo, the down spout is on the left. I have the first T providing the vent that will go out and up above the top of the down spout behind the DT. I have a gate valve to help the flow go over to the socks. Of course the socks are not lined up with the refugium, so the second T is angled at 45 with another lining up the socks.

Now the first gate on the left will direct more flow to the socks, that seems to makes sense if needed. However, looking at it now, I don’t think I need the gate valve on the far right and I should be able to plum 90 and in. The valves on the right are turned out because they stick out over my skimmer compartment so I have them sideways so they are out of the way. If I only keep one gate valve on the right, I may turn the remaining one forward.

Well, finally got to work this. Open to thoughts. I was going to have the plumbing behind the tank and come back under but too many turns.

The second photo is from behind.

FCEC38FB-7EF6-42DF-AF51-FA30FC2C3DC6.jpeg 8738726E-632E-43F1-8FA0-F3DE59127E01.jpeg

OP
OP
Flexin

Flexin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All done, took all day lol...

I have to shop for sock silencers, I’ve been tweaking the valves but the sock and medium cup (carbon at the moment) are loud. I may also get an air valve and cap the vent so I can adjust it and muffle the sound. My previous setup was really quiet. Oh well!!! I like the look, the plumbing, and the versatility. I may add a block under the skimmer for more surface, but I have a bunch of rock in the DT. Now I can see the ATO lights and easily get to the probes and skimmer. I think o need a bog debris pad to block the refugium overflow into the skimmer section. That would have been a good addition. I would like another grow light above the refugium, need to find a mount to accommodate the lip. Now I need to install my leak sensors.

Attachments

• F1E95FC9-7912-467C-863A-6A74535A426D.jpeg
    F1E95FC9-7912-467C-863A-6A74535A426D.jpeg
    212.5 KB · Views: 25

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back