Rudy's CADE Reef 1800 S2

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been working, playing, figuring and fighting. Changing my tape. I need some swimming space because I want some tangs, angels and other critters that need room.. I taped out my space giving basically a 4.5" swim/cleaning lane around the outskirts of the tank. Then using a rough rules of 9, and completely attempting to be asymmetric I arrived at this. Left hand look, will be seen as you walk into the dining room, so must have some interest. Grabs you, I hope, and looking over the dining room table, et voila! This is only the 5th iteration, many more to come. Thoughts? I am a neophyte.
_DSC2578.JPG
_DSC2579.JPG
Scapes are so much a personel thing.
Look at my thread for a minimalist scape.
My 120 only has 75lbs rock.
Back is open and I have over 60+ corals in their including 14 fish.
Either way the tank looks awesome.
Cant wait for it to come together.
Make sure you leave some room between the scape and the glass. You will thank me later when the corals grow in and when cleaning the glass with a flipper.
Dont give up on sps, its not that hard if you have a plan.

OP
OP
Wayne P.

Wayne P.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is in the house. If you ever purchase a huge tank, employ some professionals. I got the folks from Legendary Aquatics in Chesapeake Virginia to move it in. They made it look easy.

IMG_0440.jpg IMG_0446.jpg 16A49552-8440-4EE1-B3D4-133F6A013800.jpeg C7F0DAED-3D31-4B78-B16A-08B25A9C1FF7.jpeg 4F3BEF16-CF1E-480F-963F-76ACFCF29FDB.jpeg

BDB57AC1-89A3-4CC4-B087-C3BEA0715873.jpeg IMG_0444.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wayne P.

Wayne P.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plumbing is done. Got the return pump in. I'm going to do a leak test today. Because of the issues I've heard about with the ATO, I'm going to fill it first and make sure it will shut off and I don't have the float in backwards. I think I got it right but need to be sure.

OP
OP
Wayne P.

Wayne P.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leak test complete and all is good. Tank will go wet on the 3rd. Got to finish up my scape first. I'm trying some things with the thin superglue and sand. Attempting some of that negative space aquascape.

OP
OP
Wayne P.

Wayne P.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying some negative space aquascaping. I don't know when the thin glue is going to get here so I'm using the thick stuff. The water is coming on Sunday so I need to have something in by then. Got to get this guy cycled so I can start putting some critters in there.
IMG_0465.jpg

OP
OP
Wayne P.

Wayne P.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new tank got wet today. 171 g display, 32 g sump. Going to have macroalgae in the refugium and will also have some rock down there for pods. Running Matrix in 3 media baskets, Chemipure blue in 3 and have some of the ceramic tiles in the other three. Will be dosing fusion 1 and 2 and Reef Plus 3 times a day 30 ml total to start. Lights are 3 AI Hydra HD32's.

Starting my cycle and am trying to figure out what to stock. What I would like is a generally busy tank with interesting fish. Mixed reef so I will have lots of corals, mostly softies and LPS. Here is a general idea of what I want. Suggestions/Complaints/Ideas are welcome

2 pairs of Clowns one set ocelaris and 1 designer
Yellow tang
Goby/shrimp pair
Algae blenny
3 Fairy Wrasses
Flame Angel
Cleaner shrimp
2 sexy shrimp
Dwarf angel (maybe)
Chromis 5-10?
Fox face
Hippo Tang
Urchin
Brittle star
Naisairus snails
Turbo snails
Green Mandarin - when pods get established
Ruby Mandarin - when pods get established

OP
OP
Wayne P.

Wayne P.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is wet! Working on balancing the flow. Up 1% on the return pump, crack the valve a little more open, reverse, change. I think I got it, 1 hour later, no I don't..... Aquascape a little traditional, a little NSA. I just got my thin superglue yesterday. Forgot about it and put all of the sand in the tank. Have to get some sugar sand and try again.

1609896369332.png

lafarrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just noticed yours was delivered with a top. Mine was open! I heartily second the hiring professionals for the move - heavy heavy heavy. Your scape is very cool. I can empathize on the balance between the return and the overflow. I got it with some fiddling. Where you looking for your fish - LFS or online.

OP
OP
Wayne P.

Wayne P.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just noticed yours was delivered with a top. Mine was open! I heartily second the hiring professionals for the move - heavy heavy heavy. Your scape is very cool. I can empathize on the balance between the return and the overflow. I got it with some fiddling. Where you looking for your fish - LFS or online.
A combination. I want to support my LFS because they have been a great help. But you can find some great deals online for fish.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Following along! Can't wait to see what goes in here!

OP
OP
Wayne P.

Wayne P.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a pod farm going, red gracilara and chaeto, Matrix, Chemipure blue x 3 and some ceramic blocks in the fuge. A Reef Oct skimmer, jebao return pump, 3 AI Hydra 32's, 2 Ice Cap Gyre 4k's, 2 300 watt Jaeger heaters running off an Inkbird. Still need a UV. Got to run up to the LFS for a water test and see if we are cycled yet. I got to buy a new test kit because I'm getting some screwy results from my API. I'm going to go with either Red Sea or Salifert. Although API has got an electronic one that does pretty well. Unfortunately it's about $900. I think it's called the waterspin. Pretty cool and gives you results in about 2 minutes.

IMG_0497.jpg
IMG_0498.jpg
IMG_0499.jpg
IMG_0500.jpg
IMG_0501.jpg
IMG_0502.jpg
IMG_0503.jpg

OP
OP
Wayne P.

Wayne P.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a couple of weeks since my last update. Got the tank cycled and all the inhabitants from the JBJ nano moved over. Getting ready for the uglies to start. I was able to move the red legged hermits and the turbos over. Got a few of the naissarius moved as well. I'm going to wait a couple of weeks before I pick up the rest of the CUC.

Here's my livestock list at this point.

From JBJ

4 Chromis
2 ocellaris clowns
1 mandarin
1 orange spotted goby
1 tiger pistol shrimp
2 sexy shrimp
Asst snails
Asst corals

New livestock

7 Chromis - 1 died, think is was bullied but couldn't spot the perpetrator. Scale damage near tail
1 Bi-color foxface - He took a couple of weeks before he started coming out. He will pick at seaweed on a clip but prefers to eat off the rocks and sinking pellets.
1 Coral Beauty - had him about a week now. Still trying to see what he eats besides algae off rocks. Picks at clip seaweed, a little, sinking pellets, a little. Likes to hide at the moment.
IMG_0529.jpg
IMG_0531.jpg
IMG_0539.jpg
IMG_0540.jpg
IMG_0542.jpg

OP
OP
Wayne P.

Wayne P.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my CUC last week, and I added three sea urchins to the mix. This guy decided he wanted a hat and is carrying around my bi-color hammer. I have some mini-football helmets on order. Hopefully he likes those better. I actually took the coral off and he went back to get it.

And in the second picture you can see my horseshoe crab. Those guys are fun to watch, when they aren't buried in the sand that is.
IMG_0565.jpg
IMG_0566.jpg

OP
OP
Wayne P.

Wayne P.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's pretty cool. I also have an orange filter for it. Definitely can see your fish and corals up close. Thought my foxface had a couple of ich dots on it, checked it through the flipper and yep, ich. But with vitamins and garlic it looks like I'm beating it.

Back