Ruined MP40 Wetside

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did I ruin two MP40 wetsides?

I'm pooping in my pants. The only thing I did differently (and for the first time) was to soak them in dilute bleach solution (a cap full in a pint of water).

Here's what I found.....The wetside spinning in its entirety in the tank. To clarify, the entire wetside was spinning. I pulled it out and went to put the other spare one in that I cleaned the same way, and the propeller was seized. So I first pulled this one apart. The magnet was swollen, and the back side of the magnet was de-laminating. I always thought this was one solid magnet, but it now appears to be laminated to a piece of plastic. The second one was the exact same way. Here are some pictures.

Has anyone else ever soak their wetsides in bleach?

Luckily I have an old Koralia K4 to hold me over as I decide what to do.

Last edited:

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I always clean mine in clear tap water with a toothbrush, then again mine are in freshwater rather than salt but I'll be finding out soon how they are in salt

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always use vinegar and hot water to soak them when they are dirty and finish off with a tooth brush. I can't think of any reason why diluted bleach would cause this. Coincidence maybe?

TUSI

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you call the company they will send you one probably for free since that is not common problem. They have an excellent customer service.

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul, you might already know this but, sodium hypochlorite (bleach) acts as an oxidizing agent, ionizing other materials by removing electrons from them; this is why it removes stains from clothes and kills some germs. The oxidizing properties of bleach accelerate rusting; iron loses electrons more readily in the presence of bleach than in plain water. It looks like you had a bonded seam crack just enough to let it in and go to work on the material inside it's protective casing.

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the responses everyone.

I've learned a very expensive lesson today.

The magnets, which I thought were one magnet....all magnet/metal, are in fact encased in plastic all the way around. The integrity of that plastic was compromised, and the bleach most likely accelerated the oxidation of the magnet within.

I pulled one of the plastic pieces off, and sure enough, major oxidation (rust).

I've just ordered one replacement wetside.....it's the newer QD wetside that supposedly comes apart easier....but fits the older models as well. One thing is for sure, that magnet will never see vinegar, bleach or anything more then a mild wiping with a soft cloth.

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm like a toddler on Christmas Eve, with my face pressed against the window, waiting for Santa to arrive.

62203413dc14d417ba386a5534e3b35c.jpg

My new wetside is being delivered today by the Santa.....I mean UPS.

WooHoo!!!

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's here, it's here, it's here!!!!!!

The new wetside arrived and you can see an update in my Member's Tank thread by clicking on the link below....post #29

RBFB's Five Footer

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 66 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%

Back