Running UV Sterilizer & Pellet Reactor in Sequence on 1 pump?

CalypZooReef

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 23, 2024
Messages
31
Reaction score
26
Location
The Netherlands
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"I am in the process of planning my new marine aquarium, an Aqua Medic Armatus XD375. I want to make optimal use of the limited space in the sump and was wondering if it would be possible to run a UV sterilizer and Bio Pellet reactor in sequence, powered by a single pump. The pump I'm planning to use has adjustable flow.

So: return pump in sump > hose to Bio Pellet reactor > hose to UV sterilizer> hose back into sump (or inline with return pump).

Since space in the sump is limited, it would be great if I could run these two systems on one pump. In the Bio Pellet reactor, I would like to use biopellets or tropic marin Bacto pellets. These systems may only be used later, after the start-up phase is complete. However, I would find it convenient to install everything now while the system is still dry, and I have easy access to everything.

If this is possible, I would also like to know what you think the ideal order would be: Bio Pellet reactor first and then UV, or UV first and then Bio Pellet reactor?

I have:
  • Return pump: Aqua Medic DC Runner 2.3 (adjustable)
  • D-D FMR75 Bio Pellet reactor
  • Aqua Medic Helix 2.0 36W UV Sterilizer"

UV Media Reactor.jpg
 
Certainly it could be done, but I don’t know if the proper flow for the UV Sterilizer happens to match the proper flow for the pellets to tumble properly in the reaction chamber?

The solution is to make a manifold from the pump and supply each filter separately.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new