Sabellafella

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Screenshot_20180709-213432.png
alk just didn't dose the entire 2 hours it was supposed to. Started to dose at 9 o'clock instead of 6

Screenshot_20180709-214056.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sabellafella

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
So finally its ego altered....:D
I had this guy for almost 2 years, and it was litterally white but was also growing at a decent pace. I finally fragged it for someone. Just about a week after it healed and started to grow again- the colors showed up. Not only just the new growth, but through the entire colony. So it gets you wondering

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had this guy for almost 2 years, and it was litterally white but was also growing at a decent pace. I finally fragged it for someone. Just about a week after it healed and started to grow again- the colors showed up. Not only just the new growth, but through the entire colony. So it gets you wondering
I think thats why its been named altered ego. Once you hurt its ego its going to show you its original color.

OP
OP
Sabellafella

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
OP
OP
Sabellafella

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
What did you find in testing? When are the largest conaumption times? And the lowest consumption times? This is something that I have always been curious about
My lights come on around 10 AM. Usually by 2 3 oclock ill start seeing a consistant drop in alk. My lights go off at 8 45 pm. Alk consumption still goes on to about 10:30-11.(the dosing usually keeps it steady around this period) When you have about 2 dkh daily dropping its somewhat easier to track this. Its such a large range of consumption, that you can actually track with aquarium test kits and feel somewhat confident about it. I spent about 3 hannah alk reagents and a salifert test kit on this lol! Between the kalk and alkalinity dosing times, my alkalinity stays perfect. Once i start fragging and adding stuff it goes out of line, so ill just hand dose to make corrections. If my alk were to every drop below 150 ppm, ill up both morning and night 1 ml. Or kalk by 100 ml and see where it lands me. Every week i do about a 15-20 percent water change. At first i was just using reef crystals kept adding about .3-.5 dkh everytime ive done a water change. Now i mix it 5050 with fritz, cashes out about .5 dkh higher then my tank. Barely puts a dent when doing a water change. The calcium times are just there to be dosed. The test kits fields of accuracy are so broad its not even worth the time to go through all of that.

All of this is totally unnessecary

Fishfinder

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lights come on around 10 AM. Usually by 2 3 oclock ill start seeing a consistant drop in alk. My lights go off at 8 45 pm. Alk consumption still goes on to about 10:30-11.(the dosing usually keeps it steady around this period) When you have about 2 dkh daily dropping its somewhat easier to track this. Its such a large range of consumption, that you can actually track with aquarium test kits and feel somewhat confident about it. I spent about 3 hannah alk reagents and a salifert test kit on this lol! Between the kalk and alkalinity dosing times, my alkalinity stays perfect. Once i start fragging and adding stuff it goes out of line, so ill just hand dose to make corrections. If my alk were to every drop below 150 ppm, ill up both morning and night 1 ml. Or kalk by 100 ml and see where it lands me. Every week i do about a 15-20 percent water change. At first i was just using reef crystals kept adding about .3-.5 dkh everytime ive done a water change. Now i mix it 5050 with fritz, cashes out about .5 dkh higher then my tank. Barely puts a dent when doing a water change. The calcium times are just there to be dosed. The test kits fields of accuracy are so broad its not even worth the time to go through all of that.

All of this is totally unnessecary

That's very good to know

OP
OP
Sabellafella

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Screenshot_2018-07-14-19-01-17.png
Screenshot_2018-07-14-18-57-14.png
Love my sponges as just as much as i love all my other stuff. But had my return pump running dry for about an hour today. Do you guys think the sponges are going to die?

OP
OP
Sabellafella

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Can’t say for sure but when ive given my sump a good cleaning, draining it down to an inch or less of water i didnt really see any impact to anything living down there in the criptic areas.
They look good today, and your right. I drain my sump every week for water changes and the sponges are fine.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back