Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
IMG_20190611_211257_647.jpg
IMG_20190611_211255_880.jpg

Got this acro over a year ago. This is Jared's bubbleyum finally started branching. Also pickedup a brown frag of hungs rainbow. Will post a photo shortly just to show it getting color to it withen a 2 week period.

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20190611_211257_647.jpg
IMG_20190611_211255_880.jpg

Got this acro over a year ago. This is Jared's bubbleyum finally started branching. Also pickedup a brown frag of hungs rainbow. Will post a photo shortly just to show it getting color to it withen a 2 week period.
Very nice!!!

OP
OP
Sabellafella

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
So I'll start off by saying I do not like ecotech pumps. I've used mp40s in the past and had 2 horrible instances with customer service over 2 westside's rusting withen 6 months of having them. With the hefty price tag, I'd assume a better outcome with their products, compared to anyone else. That had giving me a bad taste in my mouth about buying ecotech products so I went the cheaper route with jebao powerheads and return pumps. I've never ever cleaned my jebao return pump since September 2015. I have 3 backups, and just slacked on maintenance with the return pump. It still runs like a beast, getting it cleaned up to hard plumb my rodi container.

Fast forward, someone had came out here from Hong Kong with the same factory made "non branded" vectra in black. Couldn't help but admire the pump so I figured I'd shoot my shot on getting a l1 for aesthetics, and control ability.

I am not at all happy with this pump. have an extreme amount of back flow, the heat comming from the pump is just ridiculous. Basically dont need a heater anymore just because of the heat this thing throws off. Although it's not a big deal, I'd just expect better then a 500 dollar return pump, that litterally 90% of the hobby runs. If theres going to be problems out of the box, its going right back into the box, or just going to mix salt instead of using the jebao.
20190618_161545.jpg

Do you guys like the vectra? Has it ever failed, or jammed on you guys? I've seen 2 melted vectras before, and I'm starting to think of pulling this pump as soon as I can before issues start to arise. My temperature is already higher then usual.

This is not the version 2

OP
OP
Sabellafella

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Never wanted to go the ecotec route. Seem they are too much money and hear problems they have. I use the reef octopus controllable on my tanks with out any hiccups
Screenshot_20190618-175115_Samsung Internet.jpg
it's the heat that bothers me. I purposely cranked my room down to 67° is usually the threshold of where my temp starts dropping below 77.7

My t5s heat my water up quite significantly In the summer, but if I keep my room at 70° i dont run into any issues. My apex is programming on at 77.8 and off at 78.2. My room is at 67 now and the temp still hasn't dropped since my t5s kickedon. Basically if I want to keep the vectra, I need more cooling control for my tank in the summertime.

To me, the pump is better off running as a closed loop or external. I think once my tank overheats on a hot day, it's a gg for the vectra.

OP
OP
Sabellafella

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
20190618_183407.jpg
20190618_183526.jpg
into the junk bin lol crazy that I rather rely on the jebao pump then the vectra. I'll find a good use for it, but the pump was very hot to the touch. There definitely has to be precipitation problems with that pump, and I'm not trying to find out.

OP
OP
Sabellafella

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Pretty sure heat was a common problem for V1-L1 amd they redesigned the water inlets for cooling. No excuse on a 500 pump but just what I had read. Im pretty happy with my COR 15.
I really like the cor pump, when I baited my best friend into the hobby I had gotten to work with it. Just cleaned it 3 days ago, and it works fine. July will be a year of that cor20 running without a single hiccup. Maybe I'll just upgrade to one of them

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I upgraded, I switched to a COR20 and it has been great, easy to control with Apex and powerful. I run mine at 45% and heat has never been an issue. I also considered EcoTech but went with Neptune’s pump. I don’t have a flow monitoring kit so not exactly sure how many gph it’s putting out at 45% but seems to be enough.

Lilmatty5dimes

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
man that just crazy how everyone bashed jebao back in the day and talked so much crap about them only to find out now they're working better than ecotech. i tried a few mp10 and 40 and never really liked them for the price rather save the $300 to buy more coral and get a jebao. i'm so glad i did that awhile ago. at least they've got the radions going for them.

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Vectra's are garbage. i ran one on my RS Reefer 350, and the controller quit on me the day before I left on a week long vacation. Fortunately I had a backup pump that I installed and got through the trip. Ecotech replaced the controller because it was defective and under warranty, but I will never use Vectra's (or MP40's) again. I now run my RS XXL 750 with an Abyzz A100 which gives me peace of mind.

OP
OP
Sabellafella

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
man that just crazy how everyone bashed jebao back in the day and talked so much crap about them only to find out now they're working better than ecotech. i tried a few mp10 and 40 and never really liked them for the price rather save the $300 to buy more coral and get a jebao. i'm so glad i did that awhile ago. at least they've got the radions going for them.
Jebao powerheads and they're return pumps work just as good as any other aquarium marketed pump. The wave makers are just so big and bulky but then again the few others I've tryed were pretty large. As of now I just have a wav pump and the new gyre 350. Always good to have some jebao pumps sitting as a backup just incase something happens.

OP
OP
Sabellafella

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
The Vectra's are garbage. i ran one on my RS Reefer 350, and the controller quit on me the day before I left on a week long vacation. Fortunately I had a backup pump that I installed and got through the trip. Ecotech replaced the controller because it was defective and under warranty, but I will never use Vectra's (or MP40's) again. I now run my RS XXL 750 with an Abyzz A100 which gives me peace of mind.
The abyzz pump was originally my next return pump purchase, plus it has that large warranty, I believe 5 years?
Jebao powerheads and they're return pumps work just as good as any other aquarium marketed pump. The wave makers are just so big and bulky but then again the few others I've tryed were pretty large. As of now I just have a wav pump and the new gyre 350. Always good to have some jebao pumps sitting as a backup just incase something happens.
I traded a homewrecker chunk for it so I'll keep it. If I payed for it, wouldve been a return since I've only had it for a week.

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The abyzz pump was originally my next return pump purchase, plus it has that large warranty, I believe 5 years?

I traded a homewrecker chunk for it so I'll keep it. If I payed for it, wouldve been a return since I've only had it for a week.
It's actually 10 years. Even better!

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'll start off by saying I do not like ecotech pumps. I've used mp40s in the past and had 2 horrible instances with customer service over 2 westside's rusting withen 6 months of having them. With the hefty price tag, I'd assume a better outcome with their products, compared to anyone else. That had giving me a bad taste in my mouth about buying ecotech products so I went the cheaper route with jebao powerheads and return pumps. I've never ever cleaned my jebao return pump since September 2015. I have 3 backups, and just slacked on maintenance with the return pump. It still runs like a beast, getting it cleaned up to hard plumb my rodi container.

Fast forward, someone had came out here from Hong Kong with the same factory made "non branded" vectra in black. Couldn't help but admire the pump so I figured I'd shoot my shot on getting a l1 for aesthetics, and control ability.

I am not at all happy with this pump. have an extreme amount of back flow, the heat comming from the pump is just ridiculous. Basically dont need a heater anymore just because of the heat this thing throws off. Although it's not a big deal, I'd just expect better then a 500 dollar return pump, that litterally 90% of the hobby runs. If theres going to be problems out of the box, its going right back into the box, or just going to mix salt instead of using the jebao.
20190618_161545.jpg

Do you guys like the vectra? Has it ever failed, or jammed on you guys? I've seen 2 melted vectras before, and I'm starting to think of pulling this pump as soon as I can before issues start to arise. My temperature is already higher then usual.

This is not the version 2

Are you certain Ecotech products are made in China or Hong Kong?

OP
OP
Sabellafella

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Are you certain Ecotech products are made in China or Hong Kong?
One of my buddys friends came out here on buisness, basically for a while now I've been looking into Malaysian corals and am trying to properly buy some stuff the second the opportunity arises. He brought the sickest looking vectra in black, same parts except the housing was a different material. The controller was based on wattage, and had some other options that I never really payed more attention to.

the knockoff vectra some use in Hong Kong, the price is just a hair cheaper but its quality made instead of being something cheap. This is between what he told me, and me messing around with the pump for a day. He left my friend with one of them to try out. After reef a palooza I'll get a photo of it.

The guy was the owner of the pump, and assured me they were made in the same factory. I cant remember where, or exactly the details. I'm not even sure if its legal for him to sell them out here LOL but yea theres knockoff vectras out somewhere.

Am I certain, I'm not sure. I cant seem to find anything online saying ecotech products are made outside the US

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 197 70.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 21 7.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 53 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 2.9%
Back