Sabella's 450L mixed reef build thread

kodiak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Impressive, thanks for sharing!!
Can you tell us your favorite 5 readily available sps that you have, based on how they look in your tank?
Make sure you mention at least one old school sps ;)

OP
OP
Sabellafella

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Impressive, thanks for sharing!!
Can you tell us your favorite 5 readily available sps that you have, based on how they look in your tank?
Make sure you mention at least one old school sps ;)
Hmm 5 readily available sps in my tank that are my favorites. 1 would have to be sc orange passion. Just the simple different shades of blue with some orange polyps look fascinating in any tank. 2 would be the jf fox flame, grows very fast, also readily available. Beautiful shades of brown and purple with fire yellow tips sure do make it look like a candle. 3 would be the joes rainbow acro. A beautiful colored green with redish polyps and.purple tips make the colony look very majestic. 4 would have to be any red table, a reef is not complete without a beautiful red tabling show piece. 5 would be a paletta pink tip (or in my case the rainbow loom witch imo look almost the same) just crushes the whole game on staghorn corals.

kodiak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm 5 readily available sps in my tank that are my favorites. 1 would have to be sc orange passion. Just the simple different shades of blue with some orange polyps look fascinating in any tank. 2 would be the jf fox flame, grows very fast, also readily available. Beautiful shades of brown and purple with fire yellow tips sure do make it look like a candle. 3 would be the joes rainbow acro. A beautiful colored green with redish polyps and.purple tips make the colony look very majestic. 4 would have to be any red table, a reef is not complete without a beautiful red tabling show piece. 5 would be a paletta pink tip (or in my case the rainbow loom witch imo look almost the same) just crushes the whole game on staghorn corals.

Thanks! I definitely thought you would have mentioned some others based on your past posts.

kodiak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 blue + 1 coral + 1 purple. Might switch the purple for a coral + and my bulbs are supposed to be changed this month lol

I ran this 6 bulb combo for a couple years, I agree its one of the best combos! I also added some Reefbrites for a while which was great too.
But for the past couple years I've been running 2 blue plus, 1 coral plus, 1 purple plus and replaced the other 2 bulbs in my ATI with diy leds and have been very happy.

OP
OP
Sabellafella

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Thanks! I definitely thought you would have mentioned some others based on your past posts.
Oh if its just my favorites that i own- basically arent readily available. 1.Rrc jawdropper 2. Matt v rainbow envy. 3 jf homewrecker. 4. Jareds candyland 5. tgc angry bird. All acropora

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sabellafella

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I ran this 6 bulb combo for a couple years, I agree its one of the best combos! I also added some Reefbrites for a while which was great too.
But for the past couple years I've been running 2 blue plus, 1 coral plus, 1 purple plus and replaced the other 2 bulbs in my ATI with diy leds and have been very happy.
Oh i love them, ill be using t5s with some leds for my life of reefing lol. Unless i went bigger, theyd be atleast 2 MH thrown in

OP
OP
Sabellafella

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Great video! How does it not looked washed out with the blue?
Lol good question, not really sure. I took all those videos at different times during the day, so the light settings at the times could be different. Top down its a whole different ball game, the lighting to my eyes and my camera looks real white/purple. Otherwise the pictures/videos would look washed out if i took videos from the front or sides. Most likely has something to do with the camera adjusting to the lighting.

OP
OP
Sabellafella

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Of course the other corals you mentioned are amazing too. Im just loving blastos right now haha.
The jd believe it or not just started to encrust. I had to remount it because corraline algae was like fighting away at the encrustment i had.

OP
OP
Sabellafella

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
People always taking pictures of their blastos and acans all closed up. I can see why lol.

Anyway, changing my bulbs out this week. Also building a cheato reactor out of the 2 vertex 2.5l media reactors tomorrow. Maybe ill document and post it

OP
OP
Sabellafella

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Screenshot_2017-05-03-17-20-17.png
Wasnt really much to document other then par of this lighting. Without the inner pvc the par would flutcuate from 250 to 450 so thats well enuff to grow some macro.

not using this for any sort of reason, i have 3 of these media reactors that litterally have dust on them. Placed an order with amazon and waalaa!

Just zip ties - media reactor -topled light plant grow led tape. Maybe will help reduce my day to night ph swings

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 20.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back