Sad morning

aws2266

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My brother-in-law passed away 3 weeks ago unexpectedly. He had a nice setup with around 10 fish. 1 YT, 1 BT, 1 SFT, 3 Anthias, 1 Toby Puffer, and 2 Frostbite clowns. My sister-in-law wanted to hold on to them as long as she could but it looks like she held on just a little too long. Water parameters were off the chart. We drove the 3 hours to get them yesterday and by the time we got home most of them were dead. The BT, 1 anthia, and the 2 frostbite clowns survived. The YT was barely alive when we got home. I took everyone and started acclimating those that weren't stiff as a board already. The YT started moving his fins and eventually made it to the main tank but it looked like his swim bladder got messed up as he was having a heck of a time getting off the sand, woke up this morning to him being stiff and hadn't moved from the spot he was in last night. The Puffer didn't make it from the acclimation bucket. The SFT and 2 Anthias were stiff as boards when we got home. I'm not posting this for anyone to criticize. My sister is having a hard time and ultimately did the best she could. I really wish the outcome had been different but sharing is therapeutic, right?

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My brother-in-law passed away 3 weeks ago unexpectedly. He had a nice setup with around 10 fish. 1 YT, 1 BT, 1 SFT, 3 Anthias, 1 Toby Puffer, and 2 Frostbite clowns. My sister-in-law wanted to hold on to them as long as she could but it looks like she held on just a little too long. Water parameters were off the chart. We drove the 3 hours to get them yesterday and by the time we got home most of them were dead. The BT, 1 anthia, and the 2 frostbite clowns survived. The YT was barely alive when we got home. I took everyone and started acclimating those that weren't stiff as a board already. The YT started moving his fins and eventually made it to the main tank but it looked like his swim bladder got messed up as he was having a heck of a time getting off the sand, woke up this morning to him being stiff and hadn't moved from the spot he was in last night. The Puffer didn't make it from the acclimation bucket. The SFT and 2 Anthias were stiff as boards when we got home. I'm not posting this for anyone to criticize. My sister is having a hard time and ultimately did the best she could. I really wish the outcome had been different but sharing is therapeutic, right?
Oh my, so sorry for all this mess. I hope in the coming days /weeks/months or even years you and your sister find some comfort.

You did your best for the fish and that's all anyone can ask for.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 154 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.2%
Back