Sad. Stretching. Zoas?!

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!

I've had my tank up and running for about 10 months now. I've had a few zoa frags for months, gonna say about 5 months now. None have been growing. All im noticing is some of them stretching. What gives? Even my GSP that I've had for 3 months isn't growing much lol

My mushrooms, blastos, and duncans seem to be fine. I've always loved palys and zoas and anticipated they would be one of the fastest to grow. Any ideas or tips? I've been reading some threads on here, but thought I'd just come out and ask for myself.

I know I could use with a better lighting system eventually...but...not like im trying to grow SPSs.

Here are my parameters just tested today.

Nitrate 10
dKH 8
Phos 0
I even bought iodine test lol 0.06
Temp 78

I am currently trying to manage some nuisance GHA. I am dosing a very small amount of vibrant and keep a good schedule for maintaining. But nothing else being added to the tank. Have some Aquaforest Iodum i was given but haven't used.

Here are some pics of my tank.
Thanks,

Rob
Screenshot_20201208-165404_FluvalSmart.jpg
20201208_164034.jpg
20201208_164023.jpg
20201208_164013.jpg
20201208_164002.jpg
20201208_163958.jpg
20201208_163952.jpg

OP
OP
RobertTheNurse

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
more lights, or intensity? Mine were that way for a while, and then I ramped up the lighting...now they're exploding with growth. Just a thought?:cool:
Yeah. I was using a fluval sea marine on my 65G. I just started 2 AI Prime HD 16s. They opening up more already, and seem to be being happier.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
15yrs of zoa experience

Extending stalks on zoas is an indication they are reaching fir more PAR than what they are getting. If you don't know what PAR is, look it up.

Basic things I've seen with zoas/palys

1) extended stalks = not enough PAR

2) shrinking disc size = too much flow (they're irritated and shrinking)

3) melting away = numerous factors but mainly smthg in the water chemistry irritating them chemically, or a certain pest irritating them, or too hard on a flow

Not all zoas/palys are the same! Meaning taking the same husbandry! Some are deep water and require bluer light and almost zero flow, while others can take a blast if light and medium flow. You look at disc-size, color changes and extension of the stalk for indications they are happy are not

Last edited:
OP
OP
RobertTheNurse

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
15yrs of zoa experience

Extending stalks on zoas is an indication they are reaching fir more PAR than what they are getting. If you don't know what PAR is, look it up.

3) melting away = numerous factors but mainly smthg in the water chemistry irritating them chemically, or a certain pest irritating them, or too hard on a flow

Not all zoas/palys are the same! Meaning taking the same husbandry! Some are deep water and require bluer light and almost zero flow, while others can take a blast if light and medium flow. You look at disc-size, color changes and extension of the stalk for indications they are happy are not

Thanks!! Yeah I've researched PAR. AI def giving more PAR than Fluval i had.

Thx

HD_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
15yrs of zoa experience

what she said yes GIF by TipsyElves.com

Jib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my zoas are very happy under the AI Primes and Prime HDs, it’s a 13” tall tank
What's the intensity of your lighting schedule look like? I feel like my light is turned up pretty high for my 14G tank but some my Zoas are still reaching. Trying to come to terms with lighting. Heres what I'm running:

Edit: it's a single prime 16HD for reference.

1.7 Lighting.png

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the intensity of your lighting schedule look like? I feel like my light is turned up pretty high for my 14G tank but some my Zoas are still reaching. Trying to come to terms with lighting. Heres what I'm running:

Edit: it's a single prime 16HD for reference.

1.7 Lighting.png
You probably only need 15% or less red. The only reason mine is so high is because I’m growing like 11 mangroves :)
2F4E372F-9A2D-4CBB-9D3B-737A84D9E9EA.png
05DA9F7A-F189-4BA9-9A5E-AC42E4905274.png

jakestubby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
15yrs of zoa experience

Anything to specifically dose for zoas?

OP
OP
RobertTheNurse

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I bought my to 16 AI PRIMES for my 65G I bought this new Zoa frag. Lights are off right now. Would you consider this zoa as stretching? Or simply its reaction to lights being off?
20210122_103024.jpg

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would consider it to be stretching. Non-stretching zoas have a stalk about half that length or less. Here are my light settings for an IM 20 peninsula. The lights are 1 water bottle height off the surface of the water (no ruler, sorry) and the tank is 13” deep with the zoas directly on the bottom glass. Make sure to use acclimation settings!
2F417B04-FE8D-47FE-AE3B-75D5CC2B3DEB.png
5BD4BE2C-53E4-4289-8E03-228F991DF37A.png

OP
OP
RobertTheNurse

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would consider it to be stretching. Non-stretching zoas have a stalk about half that length or less. Here are my light settings for an IM 20 peninsula. The lights are 1 water bottle height off the surface of the water (no ruler, sorry) and the tank is 13” deep with the zoas directly on the bottom glass. Make sure to use acclimation settings!
Ugh so frustrating. Another new frag i bought is doing well, but is higher than this one i have pictured. I guess I gotta move it up more. I just really wanted that bottom rock filled with zoas. But looks like im gonna have to rethink that. Strange though. The one pictured is growing a new head.

OP
OP
RobertTheNurse

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another zoa I have on that same rock actually came back from the dead after I changed my lights to the 2 Primes. I know some zoos do ok in deeper waters. Any idea which ones those are lol

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh so frustrating. Another new frag i bought is doing well, but is higher than this one i have pictured. I guess I gotta move it up more. I just really wanted that bottom rock filled with zoas. But looks like im gonna have to rethink that. Strange though. The one pictured is growing a new head.
They’re perfectly fine if they’re just stretching. If you’re okay with them looking like that then they’re okay growing like that. As long as they don’t have umbrella syndrome, don’t worry about it too much. I don’t like the long stalks so I have my lighting way up so I can grow a zoa carpet on the bottom; if yours are reproducing, the color is still good, and there’s no umbrella effect, I don’t see any reason why you couldn’t leave them where they are. It’s just an aesthetic choice

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back