Saddle Valentini & Cyphastrea

Joeg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious if anyone that has a Valentini Saddle Puffer has experience with also keeping cyphastrea. My understanding from reading other threads is that many people find that the Valentini's will nibble on branching SPS corals but I can't seem to find anyone mentioning encrusting corals like cyphastrea.

I understand that behavior will vary from fish to fish and I may just have to buy a frag and see what happens, but I am curious if any of you have successfully grown cyphastrea with a Valentini in the tank.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine went after a cherry tree monti frag the other day but hasn't touched my cyphastrea. I honestly don't think its an eating behavior but really tasting around out of curiosity. Otherwise mine is an upstanding citizen (besides snails which are lunch)

OP
OP
J

Joeg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @NeonRabbit221B

I'm really enjoying him and am willing to adjust my coral selection to keep him in the tank. He's in with a pair of diamond spot gobies, a pair of osci clowns and a small tomini tang. This is the first tank I've had where there is absolutely no conflict. They all get along and are comfortable swimming right next to each other. I know the tang will have to go to a larger tank at some point but for the moment I'm digging this harmony :)

I'm going to try and pick up a cyphastrea locally and see what happens before I splurge on ordering a bunch of different colors.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With puffers my general approach is to buy a cheaper variation to something before leaving my puffer alone with a $75-$100 snack. Keep them well fed can cut down on nipping too!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 33.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back