Safe 2-part Overdose Level?

KenRexford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a a 2-part resevervoir, what amount of solution is a reasonably safe amount as a hedge against a stuck on pump?

My thought is to fill the reservoir with enough for a 10-day dose and then weekly top iff with a 1-week supply. That way, if the pump stays on, I at worst face what for me would be about 400ml in a 125-gallon tank. My dosing daily is a light 40 or so ml.

I understand that I would likely dose either just soda ash or just calcium, and maybe precipitation would also be a hedge. But, does that amount for the reservoir seem safe enough?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many dKH is that in your tank? Alk overdose usually needs to be substantial before organisms die. Precipitation does limit the rise. My tank turned milk white a few times from limewater overdose without killing corals, but some folks have lost organisms.

I’m sure it is fine for calcium.

OP
OP
KenRexford

KenRexford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand the terminology. What I do is dose about 40ml of BRS soda ash liquid per day. I end up each week off by about 40ml per the BRS alkalinity calculator if my target is 8.3. I used 8.3 because it is easy to remember the same alk and ph goals. So, a 10-day supply would be 400, or actually about 460. Ehat that is in dkh is not in my knowledge base.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Millimeters means nothing. Or more correctly, it means I need to calculate things things which you should know.

As above, I’m trying to know how much alk will spike in dKH if it all went in, worst case.

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re dosing 40ml to 125 gallons of water daily, you’re consuming roughly 0.45 DKH. Assuming your reservoir holds 400ml, if your dosing pump went stupid and dosed all 400ml, you could expect a rise of 4.5DKH.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re dosing 40ml to 125 gallons of water daily, you’re consuming roughly 0.45 DKH. Assuming your reservoir holds 400ml, if your dosing pump went stupid and dosed all 400ml, you could expect a rise of 4.5DKH.

as emergencies go, that would be a small one and might be worth the refilling effort compared to having a whole gallon to draw from.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back