Safe and Easy DIY way to remove Nems

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Due to seeing numerous post recently about how to remove anemones and shrooms without hurting them or destroying rock work. I felt like this was in order.

First off, a little back story. Years ago, when I lived in Florida and collected aquatic life on a regular basis, we always had issues with RFA and Warty sea nems being taken off of the rocks safely/ensuring no damage was caused to the foot. Had the same issues with ricordia, as well. As I hate to injure or damage those critters, my brother and I came up with a different way to collect them. We used pipe tied over the critters with fishing line. This worked some of the time, but most times the critters would just crawl to the side of the pipe and back to square one. At this point we pilled sand around the pipe and that really helped get the critters to crawl up the pipe. The issue with that, was tide change. Sand would wash away during this time. While at the hardware store to get some stainless steel screws for rod holders we were adding to the boat, my brother saw some grout sponges and a light bulb went off. He bought all they had lol. The next weekend we meet up to go collecting and he showed me his super idea. Cut a hole in the sponge for the pipe, insert pipe and place over the critter. We would then use rubber bands to fasten the pipe to the rock, pieces of rock, etc. So we tried it. Placed them out first thing in the morning, came back up and fished our usual spots until that afternoon. At that point, they were wet for about 7 hours. When we dove back down, we were amazed that all but one pipe had an RFA at the top. The one just did not want to budge. We removed all of the sponge/pipe combos and have been using them ever since for nem and shroom collection. With this said, I then started to use them to remove BTAs when mine decided to try and take over my tank years ago. Worked like a charm for them. Since then, I have tried to assist other reefers with nem removal by using this method. Best thing about it, NO DAMAGE TO NEM!!!!! It forces them to move on their own. Same applies to shrooms, but you use a shorter pipe of a smaller diameter. So I cannot take full credit for this. The pipe was my idea and the sponge was his. So, much thanks to him years ago for being the smart one lol. (He still is the smart one and works for FWC now and does not have to deal with the Corporate IT world like I do lol)

One note: For BTAs, the pipe needs to be a little longer than you may think. Sometimes BTAs will just stretch and never move their foot. If longer is not an option, placing the pipe sort of sideways always seems to make them crawl and not stretch.

Edit Note: (THX @F i s h y) for tight places or to extend the pipe length to where it may be needed, but space is an issue, use a 45 degree or 90 degree elbow to extend the pipe. The elbow can also be placed on the sponge side for more hard to reach places.

Hope this helps someone and saves a new from having its foot torn and causing damage to it.

Pics are credit to @Lost in the Sauce, as I am worthless and do not have any pics lol. The name is also thanks to @Lost in the Sauce.

Small "Major Eagle_Steve Nem/Shroom Cannon"
Small Nem Cannon.jpeg

Large "Major Eagle_Steve Nem Cannon"
Large Nem Cannon.jpeg

Last edited:

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love this method. Learned it from Steve a while back. Have had 100% success.
I would add in tight spaces you can put a 45 on the end. It will add a small bit of length and as @Eagle_Steve said, by have the pipe not straight, the nem moves pretty quickly.

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love this method. Learned it from Steve a while back. Have had 100% success.
I would add in tight spaces you can put a 45 on the end. It will add a small bit of length and as @Eagle_Steve said, by have the pipe not straight, the nem moves pretty quickly.
Forgot about the 45 and 90 trick lol. THX @F i s h y

Note to self: Type something like this up while not on a conf call for work lol.

I did add this to the main post, so thanks again man. Teamwork makes the dreamwork!!!!!

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found that light colored pipes seem to work better in darker areas of the tank. I had to add a 45 on to the RFA Canon once and after 2 days I still had nothing. Turned the 45 so it was catching light and funneling it down the tube and within 2 hours, I had skirt poking out : )

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brilliant idea. I need to rehome some nems, they started to take over.
Is this the sponge we are talking about? https://www.homedepot.com/p/QEP-7-1...-Washing-Sponge-3-Pack-70005Q-3VP84/203260188 Or something similar?

IMG_20210921_194313.jpg
That is it!!!!! Can be cut down to size if needed. Or you can even use a 2" or 3" piece of pipe to make multiple nems crawl up at once.

Edit: Just be sure that when using a large pipe, it is at an angle, so the light does not shine straight down. The goal is to make them move to the light.

badams.one

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Due to seeing numerous post recently about how to remove anemones and shrooms without hurting them or destroying rock work. I felt like this was in order.

First off, a little back story. Years ago, when I lived in Florida and collected aquatic life on a regular basis, we always had issues with RFA and Warty sea nems being taken off of the rocks safely/ensuring no damage was caused to the foot. Had the same issues with ricordia, as well. As I hate to injure or damage those critters, my brother and I came up with a different way to collect them. We used pipe tied over the critters with fishing line. This worked some of the time, but most times the critters would just crawl to the side of the pipe and back to square one. At this point we pilled sand around the pipe and that really helped get the critters to crawl up the pipe. The issue with that, was tide change. Sand would wash away during this time. While at the hardware store to get some stainless steel screws for rod holders we were adding to the boat, my brother saw some grout sponges and a light bulb went off. He bought all they had lol. The next weekend we meet up to go collecting and he showed me his super idea. Cut a hole in the sponge for the pipe, insert pipe and place over the critter. We would then use rubber bands to fasten the pipe to the rock, pieces of rock, etc. So we tried it. Placed them out first thing in the morning, came back up and fished our usual spots until that afternoon. At that point, they were wet for about 7 hours. When we dove back down, we were amazed that all but one pipe had an RFA at the top. The one just did not want to budge. We removed all of the sponge/pipe combos and have been using them ever since for nem and shroom collection. With this said, I then started to use them to remove BTAs when mine decided to try and take over my tank years ago. Worked like a charm for them. Since then, I have tried to assist other reefers with nem removal by using this method. Best thing about it, NO DAMAGE TO NEM!!!!! It forces them to move on their own. Same applies to shrooms, but you use a shorter pipe of a smaller diameter. So I cannot take full credit for this. The pipe was my idea and the sponge was his. So, much thanks to him years ago for being the smart one lol. (He still is the smart one and works for FWC now and does not have to deal with the Corporate IT world like I do lol)

One note: For BTAs, the pipe needs to be a little longer than you may think. Sometimes BTAs will just stretch and never move their foot. If longer is not an option, placing the pipe sort of sideways always seems to make them crawl and not stretch.

Edit Note: (THX @F i s h y) for tight places or to extend the pipe length to where it may be needed, but space is an issue, use a 45 degree or 90 degree elbow to extend the pipe. The elbow can also be placed on the sponge side for more hard to reach places.

Hope this helps someone and saves a new from having its foot torn and causing damage to it.

Pics are credit to @Lost in the Sauce, as I am worthless and do not have any pics lol. The name is also thanks to @Lost in the Sauce.

Small "Major Eagle_Steve Nem/Shroom Cannon"
Small Nem Cannon.jpeg

Large "Major Eagle_Steve Nem Cannon"
Large Nem Cannon.jpeg
Have you by chance tried this on aiptasia? Curious if this could be THE solution!

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you by chance tried this on aiptasia? Curious if this could be THE solution!
I have not. The are NPS, so they would not be moving to get lights. They might move to get in the flow though, so it could be worth a try.

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I missed this how do you get them out of the pipe with out damage. I have to move some mushrooms and RFA.
Gently peel them off. I use an old credit card or a very flexible plastic scraper to nudge the edge of the foot up a bit and then use my finger to gently pry up. They usually let go very easily and the pipe is smooth. This allows for them to gently be peeled off.

Tofer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh okay they come all the way out . In my mind I thought they would come so far up and stop so the foot was inside the pipe . Have you tried this with baby RFA?

Attachments

• B374D9F9-A33E-4CA8-BB58-E1C139FBA48A.jpeg
    B374D9F9-A33E-4CA8-BB58-E1C139FBA48A.jpeg
    135 KB · Views: 512
OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh okay they come all the way out . In my mind I thought they would come so far up and stop so the foot was inside the pipe . Have you tried this with baby RFA?
I have. I use 1/2" pipe for them. All of the RFA in the tank below were removed using this method, as I moved all of them from my 180 to this Biocube we setup for my son. Not all with 1/2". Just the small ones. The rest was either 3/4 or 1".
tempImageXgvhIQ.png

Buckster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Enjoyed your knowledge. I've kept my 2 nems because of the clownfish otherwise they would be gone since they do kill the corals around them.

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. I've peeled off thousands with a plastic knife and a bit of time exposed to air, but as you know some of the guys in the deep crevices are difficult. Any idea how well this works for groups of 50-60 nems together on single rocks? Not much space between their feet.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.7%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 77 42.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back