Safe Temperature Ranges

Agustin Martinez III

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank heater (Finnex HMA-S 150W) is currently set at 78 for a IM Nuvo Fusion 40. We keep our house between 72(night) and 78 (day) because it's consistently warm/hot where we live. The tank temperature fluctuates between 77.8 (morning) and 78.8(3-4pm).

Is this too big of a daily temperature swing?

Secondly, is adding a fan to cool via evaporation a good idea? Thank you for any advice!

Fishy212

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi welcome to R2R!!

Your temperature is fine, try to keep them stable. I would recommend a wave maker pointed towards the surface of the water. This oxygenates the water, keeps the water moving and cools it down a bit. Have fun with the Trial and error!

OP
OP
Agustin Martinez III

Agustin Martinez III

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi welcome to R2R!!

Your temperature is fine, try to keep them stable. I would recommend a wave maker pointed towards the surface of the water. This oxygenates the water, keeps the water moving and cools it down a bit. Have fun with the Trial and error!
Thank you for the recommendation! I pointed the two return nozzles towards the surface to help oxygenate the water too. I ordered a vortech MP10W to help create the wave/reef ebb and flows.

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's literally a 1 degree swing... you can't get much tighter than that without having a heater click on and off constantly. As long as my system (I say system because it's 3 tanks on 1 sump) doesn't drop below 76 or get above 80 I don't worry about it too much...

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back