Sailfin tang beating up regal angle fish

jdm_aquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just got a regal angle in my reefer 900 but my Sailfin tang won’t stop picking on him I have a mirror up but the angle is still in the corner please help I don’t want to give back my Sailfin tan?

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just got a regal angle in my reefer 900 but my Sailfin tang won’t stop picking on him I have a mirror up but the angle is still in the corner please help I don’t want to give back my Sailfin tan?
How big are each? Do you have somewhere you can put the sailfin on timeout that is not a breeder acclimation box in the tank? Separate tank/sump?

OP
OP
J

jdm_aquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big are each? Do you have somewhere you can put the sailfin on timeout that is not a breeder acclimation box in the tank? Separate tank/sump?
the Sailfin is about 5-6 inches and the angle is about 4 I can get the tang into the sump but will that hurt the tang becouse there is no light?

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the Sailfin is about 5-6 inches and the angle is about 4 I can get the tang into the sump but will that hurt the tang becouse there is no light?
It will not hurt it due to no light. The low light is actually better for keeping it calm.

In your situation, I would first try removing the sailfin into the sump for a week. Feed both the tank and the sump heavily. You need the sailfin to chill out from what it sees at "his" territory, as well as get the angel comfortable and get a lot of nutrition into it. Reintroduction starts in an Acclimating box. With a fish of that size, I would And the box and put the fish in after lights out in the evening, allow the entire light cycle the next day to run. Normally observing both fishes behavior. So long as the angel is still feeling comfortable in the tank with the sail fin present and eating, I would release the sailfin from the box that evening after lights out. A fish that big cannot (should not) stay in an activation box for a few days.

OP
OP
J

jdm_aquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will not hurt it due to no light. The low light is actually better for keeping it calm.

In your situation, I would first try removing the sailfin into the sump for a week. Feed both the tank and the sump heavily. You need the sailfin to chill out from what it sees at "his" territory, as well as get the angel comfortable and get a lot of nutrition into it. Reintroduction starts in an Acclimating box. With a fish of that size, I would And the box and put the fish in after lights out in the evening, allow the entire light cycle the next day to run. Normally observing both fishes behavior. So long as the angel is still feeling comfortable in the tank with the sail fin present and eating, I would release the sailfin from the box that evening after lights out. A fish that big cannot (should not) stay in an activation box for a few days.
Thank you for the advice I will try and get him into the sump

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d personally get rid of the tang if the angel means more. But again that’s what I’d personally do as I really don’t love tangs (I like them but I don’t love them) and do prefer angels and more “graceful” swimmers.

As you don’t want to rehome the tang I’d agree with the above, try to take the tang out and put him in the sump for a day or so so he can calm down. During that time redo the rock scape (IMHO, this is a must as territories will stay if the rock scape stays the same), give the Angel time to settle in and “smell” the tang. Then after a day or so put the tang into an acclimation box and do this for no more than 2-3 days.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Sailfins are and can be total jerks. Honestly, it may Never stop its behavior as ive gine my 9" one many time outs

OP
OP
J

jdm_aquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks you all for the advice I most likely will end up getting rid of him as my angle is my dream fish but at the moment I’m having a hard time catching him

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 156 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back