Sailfin tang parasite?

  • Thread starter Thread starter manfish
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

manfish

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 27, 2021
Messages
28
Reaction score
32
Location
KAUAI
What state or country do you live in
Hawaii
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a sailfin tang that has a strange looking mark behind his right eye that im assuming is some sort of parasite. Otherwise he s in good condition.
any ideas on what it could be and possible treatment?

C2BC1A90-3F44-449D-8376-B8A511FA0C93.jpeg C599B9E2-184D-4AA2-8A42-0AA8123A1DE1.jpeg
 
That is head and lateral line erosion (HLLE). It is a disfiguring, but not fatal ailment. It is typically caused by exposure to carbon dust at some point. I have an article posted here about it, but I’m on my phone and can’t link it for you.
As far as “cures” you’ll hear a lot of them, but only two seem to work consistently; avoiding carbon and moving the fish to a new tank that has never had carbon on it. It may get worse, but eventually will stabilize.

Jay
 
Thanks again Jay. Truly appreciate you and the guys that take your time out to answer everyones questions and spread your knowledge!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new