Sakana's minimalist nano

Sakana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys!

After presenting myself in the greeting section - here is the link if you want to get to know me better: First tank after dreaming for 10 years - Some of you encouraged me to start a build threat even though I'm only at the planning phase yet. I just moved yesterday to a new apartment and it's getting real! I actually found the perfect spot in the small apartment, it can be viewed from all sides and visible from every part of the flat (except the toilets :D). Here are some pictures:

IMG_2180.jpg
IMG_2176.jpg

IMG_2177.jpg
IMG_2179.jpg

I put some tape to symbolize 18"/45cm, the width of the countertop is about 10,5"/27cm which corresponds pretty much to an ADA 45-P. I was originally planning on going for a 45-F as I'm a sucker for shallow reefs but it might be too shallow and limit me maybe a bit too much? What do you think would look best? I was thinking I could maybe use that extra height to make some sort of slope with sand and create a maybe more natural looking piece of reef. A bit like East1's tank on nano-reef:

ftslarge.jpg

I think that it would bring something a bit different than what we usually see, do you think that the deeper sandbed would be beneficial for the biological filtration of the tank as well?
As I mentioned in my greeting thread, I definitely want to go minimal and I know that some of you actually succeeded very well. I don't really have the possibility to have a sump and I don't want one anyway that's why every piece of equipment has to look neat. I like the glass and stainless steel looks and I'm currently looking for great pieces of gear that both would be adequate to fulfil my goals and not ruin the looks. I'm planning to have a mixed tank (some softies, a bunch of lps and some easy sps later) with probably one goby and its alpheus or a couple a gobiodon okinawae for instance and rely on weekly water changes.

I'm therefore looking for a good lighting (though not overkill as the tank above which runs 2 radions XR30...), a discrete powerhead (controllable if possible) and a small titanium heater. The rest won't be really visible so I don't really care such as the ATO for example. My kitchen countertop is big enough to host a good looking water container.

I'm not mentioning RO, type of rocks, type of sand, test kits etc but I will probably have some questions about it further on!

So in order to keep planning and making my budget, I would be very thankful if you could give me tips on what light, powerhead etc you would go with. Keep in mind that I live in Sweden and many things are not available on the European market! I'm a young architect that just began his career so even though I'm not on a strict budget, I won't be able to spend thousands of dollars either ;)

Thanks a lot for your help!

Simon

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 13 8.8%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 42 28.6%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 70 47.6%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back