Salifert Ca Testkit Question

GoatmealJones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anybody else have trouble with the Salifert Ca-2 solution for which the directions say to apply 10 drops? For me, some of the drops come in twos with one squeeze, no matter how careful I am. My test results are varying depending on the finicky nature of the Ca-2 solution dropper-bottle from 390-430, which is quite a large range given tests were done minutes apart.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do the first few drops on a paper towel to avoid that. Than softly squeeze over the vial usually works for me. I also release after each drop. Squeeze and release

JAMSOURY

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
For me, it usually the first drop in which I just release before my actual drops. But I agree, I hate the dropper that they provide

JP Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could find the post in the chemistry forum, but the gist of it was that the portion where you are adding CA-2 is to remove the Mg from the results. The amount isn't that significant as long as you aren't adding too much to affect the Ca result which would typically be much more than a few drops. I just see how it is coming out and maybe add a drop or 2. Has never really affected my results, but they have continually changed the solution and number of drops required.

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anybody else have trouble with the Salifert Ca-2 solution for which the directions say to apply 10 drops? For me, some of the drops come in twos with one squeeze, no matter how careful I am. My test results are varying depending on the finicky nature of the Ca-2 solution dropper-bottle from 390-430, which is quite a large range given tests were done minutes apart.
I squeeze the bottle a little bit while it's still upright to force some air out then I turn it over and release it when the liquid hits the cap. It pulls a slight vacuum in the bottle and keeps the liquid in so you can control the drops much better

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I saw a YouTube video once but can't remember which one, where the guy said a salifert rep told him to make sure the liquid level in the syringe is at . 85 with the plunger at 1 to get accurate results. This isn't in the instructions anywhere but since I have been doing it that way I get very consistent results

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 136 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back