Salifert New Calcium test kit

galantra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just recently purchased another salifert test kit and notice they change the instructions so no longer 3 part it’s now a 2 and I can’t seem to understand this now.

New instructions are now:
2ml of tank water
Spoon of Ca-1
Draw Ca-2( which is now the dropper )
Add .06ml
Mix for 5 sec
Then perform dropper

I tried this a couple of times but can’t even get the color to change red .

Anyone use this new kit yet?

image.jpg

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your ca is above 500 it won’t turn color. Refill the syringe and keep dropping until you get the color change

OP
OP
galantra

galantra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I still have the older test kit and says I am at 440 when trying this test can’t seem to get it right

The Hanna for some reason I can’t get it right

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I still have the older test kit and says I am at 440 when trying this test can’t seem to get it right

The Hanna for some reason I can’t get it right
It's odd.. And you tried adding different amounts in step 4? What do the written instructions say?

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like the instructions are unclear. I don't think you are supposed to add 0.6ml. I think that is just an example of how to read the results. Add enough of the solution to cause the color change, then read the result on the syringe.

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 - 2ml water
2 - 1 spoon powder
3 - start drops swirling as you go
when color changes wait 2 seconds if it reverts add another drop until color stays blue.
Read syringe & check chart
That's my take on this new kit.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like the instructions are unclear. I don't think you are supposed to add 0.6ml. I think that is just an example of how to read the results. Add enough of the solution to cause the color change, then read the result on the syringe.
So after adding the powder the vial it's already blue like the instructions indicate?

Have you tried going beyond 1ml of solution 2?

If you add some solution 2 without any swirling or agitation do you see some color change localized where the solution is added before mixing with the vial?

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a reefer or a lfs near by, take a water sample to get tested. One of those test kits is off by a lot

OP
OP
galantra

galantra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after adding the powder the vial it's already blue like the instructions indicate?

Have you tried going beyond 1ml of solution 2?

If you add some solution 2 without any swirling or agitation do you see some color change localized where the solution is added before mixing with the vial?
So adding CA-1 is the red dye so it is read but it wants you to add a bit of the dropper then mix to get your start but once I do that blue

Yeah I am thinking of stopping by my Lfs for a test

dadyoj21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both the old and the new salifert kits and tested both my systems and found the new kit reads 60-70 ppm higher than the old kit. I believe there is a problem with the new kits and they read high that is why you never reached the final color change.

I had to refill the syringe and my result was 540 ppm the old kit read 470.

Fat Walrus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the old kit.. I thought the solution turned pink right after adding the powder?
In the old kit, the powder turns the solution blue. It was the old #2 add 10 drops that made it turn pink. In the new kit, powder goes directly to pink and #2 add 10 drops (sodium hydroxide) has been eliminated. Old #3 is now new #3. By removing one step, Salifert Calcium test has become less accurate IMHO. And no more dependable than an API Ca test.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad I read this. I just finished cycling my first tank so am now testing for things like calcium in preparation of adding coral. I bought API's kits but was thinking of switching to Salifert. I will rethink that for this test.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These appear to be the quick instructions. I was under the impression most test kits with multiple steps have clearer, more elaborate instructions. It doesn't seem much different than the original CA test other than the volumes being slightly different. If you're having trouble changing it to red, is it possible your calcium is higher than expected and you need to continue the titration? Most of these test kits give instructions on what to do if the color does not change on the initial amount added.

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it's time I'll try this newer version of Salifert's calcium test kit before changing. I'll make it very clear if Salifert reads this post. I never once had any issues with the old calcium test kit. Ever. Why change? Because a handful of ignorant people couldn't follow simple directions? New test kit is more accurate? I demand answers.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 42 82.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.9%
Back