Salifert Test Kit and Hanna Checker Results for Alkalinity

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll take the DKH results from ATI with a grain of Alkalinity. Dr Funk did offer to run two Alk tests the next time I submit a sample, but that's a way off.
Very satisfied with the Salifert/Hanna results I've been getting (consistent and hopefully accurate).
However, never did hear from Salifert about a more precise description for the color change.

I gotta say my Hanna is giving very consistent results as well, I also cross checked my checker with the Hanna calibration and the results seem almost spot on ( 99-102ppm)...I hope ATI is wrong as I'd prefer not to run my tank at around 6...

OP
OP
David S

David S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gotta say my Hanna is giving very consistent results as well, I also cross checked my checker with the Hanna calibration and the results seem almost spot on ( 99-102ppm)...I hope ATI is wrong as I'd prefer not to run my tank at around 6...
I think there is only a remote chance of that.
Sounds like you prefer, like me, to keep your alk in the 7 - 8 DKH range. If the Salifert/Hanna testing results were on the high side (compared to ATI) any adverse results would have been evident by now

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there is only a remote chance of that.
Sounds like you prefer, like me, to keep your alk in the 7 - 8 DKH range. If the Salifert/Hanna testing results were on the high side (compared to ATI) any adverse results would have been evident by now

I think so too. I measure alk at the same time every day and have been getting really consistent results with Hanna my dosing is based on those measurements- all the frags seem to be growing well so far. I'm waiting for the KH Director, should have another data point soon (I hope).

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tested the Hanna with the Red Sea Pro alk and both were pretty much spot on.
But... Red Sea Kev taught me how to use the Red Sea kit. It's not a certain endpoint color but just an end point change in color.
Could be pinkish / redish or peachy orange.

Staying with the Hanna but when the reagent bottle gets low, green particles are floating inside the vial and it reads .5 dkh too high :confused:

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tested the Hanna with the Red Sea Pro alk and both were pretty much spot on.
But... Red Sea Kev taught me how to use the Red Sea kit. It's not a certain endpoint color but just an end point change in color.
Could be pinkish / redish or peachy orange.

Staying with the Hanna but when the reagent bottle gets low, green particles are floating inside the vial and it reads .5 dkh too high :confused:

Thanks and that's good to know. Unfortunately, I'm not very good at spotting those subtle color changes so I'm heavily reliant on Hanna and other gadgets for measuring. Was really excited when my Ca checker came within 10ppm to 2 ATIs and 2 Tritons.
Weird about green particles, never noticed that.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks and that's good to know. Unfortunately, I'm not very good at spotting those subtle color changes so I'm heavily reliant on Hanna and other gadgets for measuring. Was really excited when my Ca checker came within 10ppm to 2 ATIs and 2 Tritons.
Weird about green particles, never noticed that.
Check out this salt test.
Scroll down to the Alk chart and look how close the Hanna Alk Checker is.

https://reefhub.pl/test-of-marine-salts/

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrong thread lol

Last edited:

Dive Dive

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saw this thread. I posted on the KH director forum. My KHD has been consistently around 6.6 and my Hanna alk checker reads 7.8. Anyone seeing the same pattern with Hanna checker and KHD?

OP
OP
David S

David S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saw this thread. I posted on the KH director forum. My KHD has been consistently around 6.6 and my Hanna alk checker reads 7.8. Anyone seeing the same pattern with Hanna checker and KHD?
I believe others have reported that the Hanna Alk checker runs a bit higher than test kits, in general. Mine runs about 0.2 - 0.4 higher.
Your difference is considerable.

OP
OP
David S

David S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for the record:
I just completed a water change and as per my habit, I tested my alkalinity.
I used the Salifert kit and got a reading of barely 7 DKH which was suspiciously low. I decided to compare with the Hanna Checker and obtained a result of 9.6.
This was way on the high side and had to be inaccurate.
I proceeded to test with the Red Sea and the result was about 8 DKH which seemed reasonable.
Decided to retest with the Salifert and it was spot on 8 - I'm sure the earlier result was due to a misread.
I'm confident that 8 is the approximate DKH in my tank.
The result from the Hanna Checker is well off and has diverged considerably in the short time I've had it.
I will start a conversation/thread on my opinion regarding test kits vs the digital models for detecting reef parameters.

Dive Dive

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I changed out my Hanna Alk reagent and now it matches my KH Director Alk reading. I am thinking of getting an alternate Alk measurement. My old reagent still had 6 months left before expiration. Not sure if that affected my measurements. Now I need to raise my Alk.

Hanna Instruments

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I changed out my Hanna Alk reagent and now it matches my KH Director Alk reading. I am thinking of getting an alternate Alk measurement. My old reagent still had 6 months left before expiration. Not sure if that affected my measurements. Now I need to raise my Alk.

Does the KHD use a pH electrode for alkalinity endpoint titration?
If so when was the last time the probe was cleaned, conditioned or calibrated?
http://blog.hannainst.com/top-10-mistakes-in-ph-measurement

Hanna Instruments

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure the syringes are clean and saltwater does not enter the alkalinity reagent bottle. Avoid having dried reagent in the tip of your syringe by cleaning with distilled or DI water after use and letting them air dry before another test is preformed.

Dive Dive

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure the syringes are clean and saltwater does not enter the alkalinity reagent bottle. Avoid having dried reagent in the tip of your syringe by cleaning with distilled or DI water after use and letting them air dry before another test is preformed.
Got it. Thanks!

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 37 77.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.1%
Back