Salifert vs Trident Testing Question

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On everyone’s recommendation, I got Salifert tests for backup to my Trident system.

I need a little help understanding the results.

Alk was okay. Trident says 8.5, but Hanna and Salifert both say 9.3. I trust 9.3.

Ca and Mag with trident says Ca 636 and Mag 1646. When I did the Salifert tests, I could not get either one to change color. I am assuming that means I’m above the max level for the Salifert test which are Ca 500 and Mag 1500. Would that mean my Trident values are probably close and I’m just above the Salifert max range?

My system is only 5 months old and no hard corals as of yet. Just added my first corals, a few Zoanthids and a hammer, yesterday. They look quite happy this morning.

Jetson

mbmartin06

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can fill the syringe back up an continue the test until it changes color. Then just do the math to figure out the cal reading.

are you dosing anything?

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your alk is fine at either one.

It is new and maturing, cal and mag are being consumed slowly.

Each device and test kit will give you a different number.

Don't try to get the different kits numbers to match. That will drive you crazy...

The more important thing is that the numbers stay stable and consistent from each test.

Your cal and mag will settle once your tank matures a bit more and uses it more.

They aren't being used as much right now because your tank is still so new.

Don't get caught in the mess of worrying about different test kits seeing different results.

As long as the results from said test kit are consistent with its own testing.

We use trident, Hanna, and spin touch

ALL 3 give us different results.

BUT all 3 are consistent and stable with their own results.

Our trident gives us the highest reading out of the 3.

Spin touch the lowest and hannah seems to be right in the middle.

If you're concerned that your cal and mag are too high you can switch salts to get a lower mix to start with.

OP
OP
AKL1950

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can fill the syringe back up an continue the test until it changes color. Then just do the math to figure out the cal reading.

are you dosing anything?
Not dosing anything yet. Salt I’m Using is IO Reef Crystals.

Temp. 79.9
PH 7.9
salinity. 34.5
NO3. 6.0
PO4. 0.0. I’m using the low range and not the very low range. I suspect the PO4 is probably .04 to .05 And the test just shows zero. Every other time is show .06 to .07.

mbmartin06

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not dosing anything yet. Salt I’m Using is IO Reef Crystals.

Temp. 79.9
PH 7.9
salinity. 34.5
NO3. 6.0
PO4. 0.0. I’m using the low range and not the very low range. I suspect the PO4 is probably .04 to .05 And the test just shows zero. Every other time is show .06 to .07.
Got it. I second all that @MERKEY said above. If you are curious I’d continue the test until the color change and figure out the value. If I remember every .02 used is an addition of 10 ppm on the cal test.

I have zero experience with trident so there is that…. Personally I’d switch to a lower mix salt for now and water changes will get it down over time...As long as everyone is happy.

OP
OP
AKL1950

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your alk is fine at either one.

It is new and maturing, cal and mag are being consumed slowly.

Each device and test kit will give you a different number.

Don't try to get the different kits numbers to match. That will drive you crazy...

The more important thing is that the numbers stay stable and consistent from each test.

Your cal and mag will settle once your tank matures a bit more and uses it more.

They aren't being used as much right now because your tank is still so new.

Don't get caught in the mess of worrying about different test kits seeing different results.

As long as the results from said test kit are consistent with its own testing.

We use trident, Hanna, and spin touch

ALL 3 give us different results.

BUT all 3 are consistent and stable with their own results.

Our trident gives us the highest reading out of the 3.

Spin touch the lowest and hannah seems to be right in the middle.

If you're concerned that your cal and mag are too high you can switch salts to get a lower mix to start with.
Understand. I assumed that’s why they are both high. The Trident numbers are very stable. Since the system is new (and I’m fairly new at this as well), I’m just trying to understand where my starting base line is. I have not calibrated the trident yet. I wanted to see what the Salifert numbers would be First. I’ll try what mbmartin said and add more regent till I can get a color change. That way I get a good feel for the testing. I promise, I wont chase numbers, but I do want to see the trends as I start adding corals.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Understand. I assumed that’s why they are both high. The Trident numbers are very stable. Since the system is new (and I’m fairly new at this as well), I’m just trying to understand where my starting base line is. I have not calibrated the trident yet. I wanted to see what the Salifert numbers would be First. I’ll try what mbmartin said and add more regent till I can get a color change. That way I get a good feel for the testing. I promise, I wont chase numbers, but I do want to see the trends as I start adding corals.
Calibrate your trident and let us know what your numbers are after that.

OP
OP
AKL1950

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, not sure I’m better off than I was before. I calibrated Trident It’s only done one test since I calibrated, so I’ll watch it over the next couple of days to see if things match up a little better. Here is what I have now:

…………Trident.…… Salifert. ….. Hanna. ……Difference

Alk………8.49…………9.3…………….9.3 ………9.5%

Ca………646 ………..560 ……………………………. 13%

Mag …..1535……… 1620 ………………………….. 5.6%

I did have to extrapolate on the Salifert Ca and Mag because they were higher than the provided chart. Ca took an additional 0.12 ml and Mag took an additional 0.08 ml of #2 reagents.

what do you think? Close enough? Average the numbers?

Jetson

Last edited:

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Don't try to get them close to each other at all.

Take each separate reading and try to keep that stable.

I wouldnt take the average and try to keep that number either. How will you find that number each time....use 3 test kits and get the average everytime....too much room for error and in the long run too much testing for me.

Either test with all and keep all stable which will be the long way about it, or pick your favorite test kit and keep that number stable.

I'd go with the trident reading and let your cal and mag settle. Once you start using more alk those 2 will die down. Nierther are in a range I would be concerned with how old your tank is.

What salt do you use to make your water?

OP
OP
AKL1950

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't try to get them close to each other at all.

Take each separate reading and try to keep that stable.

I wouldnt take the average and try to keep that number either. How will you find that number each time....use 3 test kits and get the average everytime....too much room for error and in the long run too much testing for me.

Either test with all and keep all stable which will be the long way about it, or pick your favorite test kit and keep that number stable.

I'd go with the trident reading and let your cal and mag settle. Once you start using more alk those 2 will die down. Nierther are in a range I would be concerned with how old your tank is.

What salt do you use to make your water?
Understand. My concern is looking down the road. When I get to the point I need to start dosing, what do I use as my reference To know I’m not over or under dosing the system? I’ll be new to dosing and seems I need to pick a reference for what I’m trying to dose to. Am I over thinking this?

gbru316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I toss the Trident calibration fluid. I trust the accuracy of Salifert kits far more than I trust the accuracy of the Trident. But the Trident is precise so it's still got plenty of value.

I measure my tank with Salifert, then immediately use the numbers obtained to run a Trident calibration routine with tank water. Testing the water post-cal always yields exactly the same numbers as the salifert tests.

This might not be the most scientifically rigorous method, but it works for me and I'm happy with the results.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  • Don't chase numbers across test kits
  • Choose one for source of record (should be trident)
  • If in doubt pick up Fauna Marin multi reference solution. Can use across kits to verify accuracy
  • Neptune Trident range:
    • Alkalinity: +/- 0.05 dKH
    • Calcium: +/- 15 ppm
    • Magnesium: +/- 15 ppm
  • Get Hanna's
  • Get Salifert's
  • Instance Ocean Reef Crystals (RC) - mixing at 35 ppt at proper temp they say:
    • Alk - 13
    • Ca - 490
    • Mg 1440
  • I read no SPS/hard corals, 5 month old display, soft coral starter or test frags

If this was me, and owning a Trident, I would use it as the source of record. I would pick up a bottle of Fauna Marin multi reference solution as it keeps for 6 months after opened. If your Trident is running for 48 to 72 hours and calibrated you could do a test using this known standard and see. Pretty simple treat it as a calibration using the task. Wipe the Trident sample line first before placing in Fauna Marin's solution so not to contaminate. Then after the Trident runs through its battery you can test your other kits and then compare.

Personally speaking I don't really chase the numbers between kits. I would pull out my remaining hair. Titration, drop count, etc. No thanks. If the Trident, or manual tests, are trending the same with no sudden and repeatable drops and the display looks fine - your good.

TL; DR - fauna marine multi reference solution is a nice. Don't chase. Trends. Look at display - how does it look to you.

OP
OP
AKL1950

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best looking tank I’ve ever had. Don’t want to screw it up. You guys are all saying the same thing and I appreciate that. Don’t chase a number, just follow the trends.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Understand. My concern is looking down the road. When I get to the point I need to start dosing, what do I use as my reference To know I’m not over or under dosing the system? I’ll be new to dosing and seems I need to pick a reference for what I’m trying to dose to. Am I over thinking this?
If you use a DOS controlled by Apex and you have a trident, I would use the trident numbers to dose when you need too as the Apex will control it all for you.

OP
OP
AKL1950

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I keep relearning the same lesson. Don’t over react and be patient. Ca and Mag numbers are almost identical today between Trident and Salifert. Alk is a little off, but getting closer. Trident 8.7 and Salifert/Hanna at 9.2.

Looks like calibrating Trident did the trick.

Jetson

OP
OP
AKL1950

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What color are you using for the endpoint of the Salifert test? If you go all the way to pink, like many people do, you are overshooting the endpoint, and getting a high reading. Please see: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/alkalinity-titration-endpoint-ph-salifert-endpoint-color.543556/
I think you are right. I’m trying to get it to a blue blue and not purple. I am probably over shooting a little, but the Hanna test gives me the same number as the Salifert.

OP
OP
AKL1950

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eureka! It’s been 6 days since I calibrated the Trident and now all the numbers for Trident and Salifert are spot on. Maximum differences are less than 1% for each item tested. I feel I can trust the Trident numbers and conformation with the Salifert. Thanks to all who steered me toward the Salifert for my backup.

numbers have stabilized to:

Alk 8.6
Ca 533
Mag 1603

Jetson

Back