Salinity checker

The Hanna salinity checker is a conductivity test isnt it?
Hanna makes conductivity and digital refractrometer. If you are referring to the hand held then yes. Is conductivity.
 
Do you know the know the hydrometer is accurate?

I'm not saying it isn't, but you assume it is when it might not be.

What did you calibrate the Hanna with? I have a concern that its calibration fluid may be the thing that makes folks frequently find it reads low, not the device itself.
I am using the official 35ppt calibration fluid that comes from Hanna. I see your point of view how it could be the fluid and not the device itself - my rebuttal to this is if you cannot guarantee the official calibration fluid that comes with the Hanna is accurate, then that is precisely why I would prefer to use the hydrometer that doesn't need said calibration fluid.

I also see what you mean when you question if the Hydrometer is accurate - its possible - though unlikely - that its inaccurate. That said, if both methods could be inaccurate, id prefer the one that doesn't require recalibration because if the calibration fluid is compromised, then you could be off and fluctuating salt levels based on those compromised calibration fluid packets.

I don't have a strong opinion on not using Hanna Checkers, but this is just something to consider.
 
I am using the official 35ppt calibration fluid that comes from Hanna. I see your point of view how it could be the fluid and not the device itself - my rebuttal to this is if you cannot guarantee the official calibration fluid that comes with the Hanna is accurate, then that is precisely why I would prefer to use the hydrometer that doesn't need said calibration fluid.

I also see what you mean when you question if the Hydrometer is accurate - its possible - though unlikely - that its inaccurate. That said, if both methods could be inaccurate, id prefer the one that doesn't require recalibration because if the calibration fluid is compromised, then you could be off and fluctuating salt levels based on those compromised calibration fluid packets.

I don't have a strong opinion on not using Hanna Checkers, but this is just something to consider.

FWIW, commercial standards seem to be all over the map in quality, and it seems not unreasonable to use one of known quality. :)

Maybe someone can check one of these Hanna fluid packets for its actual conductivity. :)
 
Here’s a quick comparison between a newly perchased bottle of Hach's 53.0 mS/cm standard, a DIY 3.24% KCl solution, and Hanna calibration fluid.

The Hanna checker was first calibrated with the Hach standard to 35 ppt
20250804_170302.jpg


The measurement of the DIY solution isn’t far off
20250804_170846.jpg

20250804_171215.jpg

20250804_174531.jpg


However, the measurement of the Hanna calibration fluid results in a noticeably higher reading
20250804_185028.jpg


I also checked other packets of the calibration fluid from the same box, and all of them showed similar results. This does seem to align with reports from many reefers that the Hanna salinity checker often shows lower readings compared to other instruments.
 
Here’s a quick comparison between a newly perchased bottle of Hach's 53.0 mS/cm standard, a DIY 3.24% KCl solution, and Hanna calibration fluid.

The Hanna checker was first calibrated with the Hach standard to 35 ppt
20250804_170302.jpg


The measurement of the DIY solution isn’t far off
20250804_170846.jpg

20250804_171215.jpg

20250804_174531.jpg


However, the measurement of the Hanna calibration fluid results in a noticeably higher reading
20250804_185028.jpg


I also checked other packets of the calibration fluid from the same box, and all of them showed similar results. This does seem to align with reports from many reefers that the Hanna salinity checker often shows lower readings compared to other instruments.
Thank you! I'm ordering some of Hach's standard now.
 
I keep my water temp at 78 and adjust my salinity to read 1026 using the TM hydrometer. If I understand correctly as long as the temp is between 77 - 78 the 1026 should be accurate. I plan on getting a 2nd hydrometer just in case one breaks but also curious to see if both read 1026.
 
I keep my water temp at 78 and adjust my salinity to read 1026 using the TM hydrometer. If I understand correctly as long as the temp is between 77 - 78 the 1026 should be accurate. I plan on getting a 2nd hydrometer just in case one breaks but also curious to see if both read 1026.

Assuming your particular TM hydrometer is accurate, that is correct. :)
 
Here is my wine hydrometer that is calibrated at 72f. Spot on 1.026, so I know my tank, and my refractometer is accurate as well.
PXL_20260114_232407450.jpg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 18 20.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 26 29.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 10.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 12.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 8.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new