Salinity increase.

ilott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have recently got my hands on a Hanna salinity checker, albeit the readings are kinda crazy? Does anyone else find this?

Anyway, I had to check my tank a few times due to the inconsistent readings, I ended up reading around 31.2/3 about 2 or 3 times,

How do I go about increasing my salinity? just add a few more grams of salt with each water change? or maybe top up salt water for a day or two? I'm unsure how to go about this so any help would be nice!

Or should I have floated the calibration fluid in the tank first to achieve the same temperature?

Also, one last thing. How does 0.01 phosphate (ULR) and 0.63 nitrate (LR) sound?

PBar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
First, it would be nice to double check if this salinity measure is accurate. One option is to double check with your local fish store (against their refractometer).

Now, assuming that the measure is correct, the best way to increase the salinity (without too much stress) is by adding salt water into the ato reservoir.

Cheers!

OP
OP
ilott

ilott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
First, it would be nice to double check if this salinity measure is accurate. One option is to double check with your local fish store (against their refractometer).

Now, assuming that the measure is correct, the best way to increase the salinity (without too much stress) is by adding salt water into the ato reservoir.

Cheers!
Okay... So in the UK everywhere is like shut shut. So is there another way to check the reading is correct or shall I just wait?

PBar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ups... I didn’t see that coming!
Here in Belgium, pet stores were always considered as essential, so never closed.
That’s a tricky one now :)

How were you checking your salinity before the Hanna?
Which animals do you have in the tank?

namfuak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you calibrated the Hanna with a calibration fluid packet?

As PBar said, topping off with salt water would be the best way. If you're able to turn off the ATO and top off manually, that would probably be best. Just measure frequently.

If I have to adjust, I'll usually just keep the ATO on and just add salt water to the sump a little at a time and let evaporation do it's thing.

Willu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

namfuak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity, what was the range of readings you were getting on the Hanna? I've found mine to be very consistent. Are you shaking the air bubbles out when you use it?

I could be wrong, but I believe that stray voltage could also cause false readings as this probe measures conductivity. You could try repeating the tests with a sample of the water outside of your tank.

OP
OP
ilott

ilott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity, what was the range of readings you were getting on the Hanna? I've found mine to be very consistent. Are you shaking the air bubbles out when you use it?

I could be wrong, but I believe that stray voltage could also cause false readings as this probe measures conductivity. You could try repeating the tests with a sample of the water outside of your tank.
The first time I just dipped it in and it read 29.7 then I shook it abit to loosen any bubbles and it read about 33 for a few tests, but it goes up and down constantly I thought it would be, dip in, accurate reading, rinse, but I find it sky rockets to like 36 then drops to around the end result

OP
OP
ilott

ilott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might have to recalibrate your Hanna salinity checker. I usually do mine every 3-4 months just to be safe :)
I got it today, calibrated it as it described. Even the calibration fluid didn't read 35.00 tho which got me questioning, it read 35 then dropped to 34.8 so I rinsed it and dipped it back in to see if it had any effect, flicked the bag abit to loosen any bubbles and it still read about 34.7/8

OP
OP
ilott

ilott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ups... I didn’t see that coming!
Here in Belgium, pet stores were always considered as essential, so never closed.
That’s a tricky one now :)

How were you checking your salinity before the Hanna?
Which animals do you have in the tank?
Oh god. Reef prison for me. I wasn't checking it. I would mix 35 grams of salt per 1 litre in my water changes. I was using a refractometer but someone had told me I had calibrated it wrong so I just stopped using it all together until I purchased this a few days ago. I had calibrated my refractometer with 0 TDS RODI water, and I read about 1.024.

namfuak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was it rinsed with and was it dried off afterward? I really wouldn't worry about a .2ppt difference. There is no telling that the calibration fluid is exactly 35ppt anyway. The device itself has an accuracy of ± 1.0ppt.

OP
OP
ilott

ilott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was it rinsed with and was it dried off afterward? I really wouldn't worry about a .2ppt difference. There is no telling that the calibration fluid is exactly 35ppt anyway. The device itself has an accuracy of ± 1.0ppt.
Fresh RO Water

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh god. Reef prison for me. I wasn't checking it. I would mix 35 grams of salt per 1 litre in my water changes. I was using a refractometer but someone had told me I had calibrated it wrong so I just stopped using it all together until I purchased this a few days ago. I had calibrated my refractometer with 0 TDS RODI water, and I read about 1.024.

I'm confused. You do know that 35 ppt salinity seawater cannot be made from 35 grams of salt mix per L of water, right? It will be well below 35 ppt.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got it today, calibrated it as it described. Even the calibration fluid didn't read 35.00 tho which got me questioning, it read 35 then dropped to 34.8 so I rinsed it and dipped it back in to see if it had any effect, flicked the bag abit to loosen any bubbles and it still read about 34.7/8

Those numbers are all well within the Hanna specification of +/-1 ppt for 0.0 to 40.0 ppt:

OP
OP
ilott

ilott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm confused. You do know that 35 ppt salinity seawater cannot be made from 35 grams of salt mix per L of water, right? It will be well below 35 ppt.
That probably explains it then. everything is fine in the tank. don't worry. But now I have an accurate(ish) tester I can start to get the salinity up

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't

understand how it's "ppt" if 35 parts per thousand doesn't make 35 ppt

The problem is that some of the main ingredients in salt mixes contain a lot of water in the dry components. Magnesium chloride and magnesium sulfate are the biggies. They are about half water by weight.

Typical salt mixes, when made 35 grams per L, gives salintiy of about 28-30 ppt.

Craig Bingman measured it here years ago for many mixes:

Back