Salinity...what to believe?!?!

  • Thread starter Thread starter cincyreef
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
When my salinity was high I lost a couple of Acro frags and a frog spawn retracted. All the other corals in the tank where fine fully open and happy.
Fish didn't seem to care. I took my time bringing it back downwards.
 
Well the Milwaukee showed up. I calibrated it, and unfortunately my LFS was correct. My salinity has been high the entire time my tank has been setup, I'm assuming. It was 1.029. I'll slowly bring it down over a few days.

Whats your (now old) refractometer showing when calibrated at room temperature with rodi water, which is also at room temp.?
 
Does anyone know what effects high salinity can have on my coral, and fish?

How high? A sg of 1.029 by itself is not any problem. Corals thrive in the Red Sea at much higher sg than this.

But you do not want sg bouncing up and down a lot.
 
How high? A sg of 1.029 by itself is not any problem. Corals thrive in the Red Sea at much higher sg than this.

But you do not want sg bouncing up and down a lot.

Thanks Randy. Yes I was referring to 1.029. I was hoping that was my issue in my tank, but it maybe something else. At least I can get this stabilized now.
 
Check out a Hanna digital refractometer. Only calibration needed is to add a drop of ro water and press a button and it shows a reading of 1.00. Next add the water you'll testing and your done.
 
I'm not sure tbh. I have always used the pinpoint solution and calibrated at 35ppt.
While your milwaukee is new, you may try to calibrate old refrac. and measure with it, for the last time. This way, you will be sure if the problem was calib. solution or refractometer s itself. If something happens to milwaukee, you may need this information. I have the same milwaukee unit btw, after dealing with refractometer trying to see which line it actually is, this unit is like a gift from God :)
 
Does the milwalkee measure the decimal place?
 
Check out a Hanna digital refractometer. Only calibration needed is to add a drop of ro water and press a button and it shows a reading of 1.00. Next add the water you'll testing and your done.
lg-71911-62910R-fish.jpg

The Hanna unit is a rebranded Millwaukee.:)
CD-87806-73597RG-fish.jpg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 12 48.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new