Salinity

milliesmillie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
So I have a Fluval EVO 13.5G, obviously this is a very small tank so evaporation and rise in salinity happens quick, I was just wondering is it safer to do a water change but include a topup inside of that water change... Meaning take out 5 litres add 8 or I could just top the tank up then change the water but I feel this is a waste of good water.

I was thinking (I know, god help us) if my salinty has rose to 1.27, can I add water that reads 1.23 to level it or does it not work like that? If it does/can work similar to this how can I work it out perfectly?
Millie x

MightyMO

"The Algae made me do it!!!"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
So I have a Fluval EVO 13.5G, obviously this is a very small tank so evaporation and rise in salinity happens quick, I was just wondering is it safer to do a water change but include a topup inside of that water change... Meaning take out 5 litres add 8 or I could just top the tank up then change the water but I feel this is a waste of good water.

I was thinking (I know, god help us) if my salinty has rose to 1.27, can I add water that reads 1.23 to level it or does it not work like that? If it does/can work similar to this how can I work it out perfectly?
Millie x
Top off before you do water change and give it a bit to mix before your water change...

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have small tank also. I need to add Fresh RO water at least 2 times a day to keep the salinity stable. Stability
When a water change needs done, salinity should match the tank

OP
OP
milliesmillie

milliesmillie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have small tank also. I need to add Fresh RO water at least 2 times a day to keep the salinity stable. Stability
When a water change needs done, salinity should match the tank
How small is your tank? I’m kinda worried now, I literally don’t do topups I only change the water twice per week (remove 5 litres add 8 with 5 litres worth of salt)

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your tank is lower than your desired salinity, you can top off with salt water.

If it’s higher, than on water change you can mix your salt to a bit lower salinity.

Just don’t let it change drastically either way too fast.

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you checking salinity? Lol

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He means top off your tank with RODI water to get it at proper level and salt level back to where it supposta be and wait a little then do water change

MightyMO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do your top off with your fresh water to get your levels correct in your tank (water levels). Let your pump mix that top off water into your tank water... mix up your water change water to the salinity it needs to be at... if your salinity is high after the water change, you can always take saltwater out of the tank and replace with freshwater. Just do it gradually so it gives the freshwater time to blend with the salt...

MightyMO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And always follow the directions on your salt you are using, because some have different mix times... and always add your salt to water, not water to salt when mixing...

OP
OP
milliesmillie

milliesmillie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so, my salinity at the mo reads 1.26, I want 1.25. How much water do I add to lower it?

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 60 33.5%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 58 32.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back