Salt creep inside skimmer injector

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone have issues and a solution to reduce the amount of salt creep inside the intake injector for a Mrc skimmer ?

Once apart . There are o rings in each end of the injector . Alone they are not enough to stop water from leaking passed .
so I added Teflon tape to each end .
it works great . But for some weird reason even though no sight of water in that section , I always get crazy salt creep which restricts the air intake.
decreasing the skimmers efficiency

3DDF84C3-7FE1-4499-8949-24D95BA49611.jpeg 2142CF87-B2F8-4769-81D9-5AB5E0214B24.jpeg

ptrusk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to use an SWC extreme that would get clogged with salt creep in the silencer. Now this wasn't a beckett, but it sucked a ton of air and just sitting in the sump under the tank the silencer/air intake would clog frequently because of the salty environment. What worked for me was one of those foam prefilters that you put on a maxijet powerhead. Just slipped over the air intake.

I would take it off and rinse it right in the sump occasionally and in fresh water once in a blue moon (just lazy). It would still clog once in a while but not nearly as often. maybe once or twice a year.

Now i realize your air intake is a different profile, but I am thinking you could find something similar. Maybe this:

Really any open cell foam you could attach to filter the salty air.

OP
OP
Rmckoy

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to use an SWC extreme that would get clogged with salt creep in the silencer. Now this wasn't a beckett, but it sucked a ton of air and just sitting in the sump under the tank the silencer/air intake would clog frequently because of the salty environment. What worked for me was one of those foam prefilters that you put on a maxijet powerhead. Just slipped over the air intake.

I would take it off and rinse it right in the sump occasionally and in fresh water once in a blue moon (just lazy). It would still clog once in a while but not nearly as often. maybe once or twice a year.

Now i realize your air intake is a different profile, but I am thinking you could find something similar. Maybe this:

Really any open cell foam you could attach to filter the salty air.

There is a cotton ball inside the air injector for the intake .

I think somehow there is a slight water seep or leak inside causing the salt creep .
but assumed someone else with the same skimmer had a idea to resolve this issue

ptrusk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see the cotton ball. I also see the salt buildup around the intake. Just a suggestion, good luck!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 42 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back