salt sales

  • Thread starter Thread starter DRThompson
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

DRThompson

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 14, 2013
Messages
334
Reaction score
52
Location
Coral Springs, FL
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know where I can find the best buy on salt?

Dr FS has 200gal RC box for $53 with free shipping.

Dave
 
Last edited:
Pet solutions has Seachem 200gal/box salt for $46.99 but free shipping is at $49 so would have to buy something else
 
any one use these on Reefs ? i pay $55 locally picked up from a guy here for Reef Crystals.
 
If you can find a few people to go in on a pallet of the salt you want usually you can get it a lot cheaper, but you will probably have to go through your local fish store. That's usually the way I do instant ocean salt is just buy a pallet and split with a few people. I believe if memory serves me correctly it's like 43 - 200 gallon boxes on a pallet to give you some idea.
 
A consideration in buying salt is also getting a salt that will compliment what your tank needs. Example: My tank has calcium levels of 480 ppm, and 10.5 dKH alkalinity. If I want to get the calcium down to 450, I might use Instant Ocean for a while on water changes instead of Reef Crystals to get that back down. Here is a chart that I refer to when considering salt purchase:

Salt Mix Guide | thatpetplace.com
 
As stated that chart comes from the manufacturers of each salt mix data. I personally have been using Reef Crystals for 5yrs and have never had an ALK reading of 13dkh at 35ppt. Using a refractor meter to measure new mix.
Have you ever seen how they mix their test waters? I have! The average aquarist doesn't even come close to the methods they use to mix and measure.
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 5 38.5%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 23.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new