Saltcat's first reef! IM Nuvo Fusion Pro 14

ScubaEthan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exciting updates for sure! I don't have any algae yet either and an eager to get some cleaup crew type critters. Do you just throw in a tiny bit of fish food and they find it? Or do you try to target fed a bit?

I am also programming my lights and ramping up the intensity. I have a Kessil though, so different app, but yeah, seems like most of these reefer gadget apps have a lot of potential but the actual UX is a little lacking. Why are the blue and teal lines zigzag?

I too am in the same stage where my tank is supposedly cycled based on test kits but 0 algae. I am bumping up against my own knowledge from previously having a tank 10 years ago where live rock was the thing. So now I started with dry rock and FritzZyme 9. I had my lights off during that time and just turned them on. So perhaps we are skipping some of the "ugly stage" because of these newer practices? I'm sure the algae will come but hopefully not as strongly as previously happened to all reefers?

I love your stocking ideas. Can't give much advice in this area, except keep the ideas and just see how things go over time and add more inverts and fish when the tank is stable and see how it goes. I vote rock anemones and ricordeas. Do you plan to have a bigger tank in the future for if something like the carpet nem got too big? Or you could just send it to me :) jk

OP
OP
saltcats

saltcats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exciting updates for sure! I don't have any algae yet either and an eager to get some cleaup crew type critters. Do you just throw in a tiny bit of fish food and they find it? Or do you try to target fed a bit?

I am also programming my lights and ramping up the intensity. I have a Kessil though, so different app, but yeah, seems like most of these reefer gadget apps have a lot of potential but the actual UX is a little lacking. Why are the blue and teal lines zigzag?

I too am in the same stage where my tank is supposedly cycled based on test kits but 0 algae. I am bumping up against my own knowledge from previously having a tank 10 years ago where live rock was the thing. So now I started with dry rock and FritzZyme 9. I had my lights off during that time and just turned them on. So perhaps we are skipping some of the "ugly stage" because of these newer practices? I'm sure the algae will come but hopefully not as strongly as previously happened to all reefers?

I love your stocking ideas. Can't give much advice in this area, except keep the ideas and just see how things go over time and add more inverts and fish when the tank is stable and see how it goes. I vote rock anemones and ricordeas. Do you plan to have a bigger tank in the future for if something like the carpet nem got too big? Or you could just send it to me :) jk
I try to target feed them a little - they're very excited whenever I put anything in but not the best at finding it by themselves lol! They've been getting a mix of frozen brine shrimp, frozen mysis, and NLS pellets; I'm thinking of picking up some nori sheets soon to get some greens in their diet as I'd honestly expected algae to supplement by now.

Definitely agree on UX; the AI app is not fun to use to say the least, and I had to google how to do every single thing... I think the zigzag is to allow rest periods from peak photosynthesis?

Perhaps! I haven't used any bottle bacteria but I did start with one piece of live rock (which I've been very pleased with - no pests that I've seen so far, but brought in pineapple sponges, feather duster type worms, and at least one brittle star!)

I believe some of the mini carpets max out at around 4" or less, which would be my ideal. Based on my experience so far, I definitely see a larger tank in my future, but not likely soon enough to be an "upgrade" for this one.

Thanks so much!

Jib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running a modified Saxby preset, scaled way down for now (I think it's probably scaled too low but I thought I'd start small and increase).

What's the intensity of your peak brightness? Curious Since I'm running the Saxby preset as well.

For me, it's UV 31, V 37, RY, 59, B 56, G 4, DR 6, CW 28

Today will be the first day in a long time the lights will come on as normally scheduled due to the dino outbreak I had. Some of my Zoas are reaching for more light so I'm interested how they start to react now that it will be at my normal preset.

One thing I'm confused about is that little peak at the beginning?
Something got messed up there. I would click on each of those blue dots and bring those values down to where it smooths out the line. I also saw you other post about the UI, I did a lot of googling as well. The instructions are inadequate. Best thing I did was just mess around for a while. Really got me familer with the app and functionality. I would make sure you are comfortable before you get a fish. Messing with the lights stressed my fish out to the point I had to move the light from over the tank. Which then made it challenging to see how my changes effected the tank.

should it normally take so long for the "uglies" to get started?

It took a few months before I got my diatom bloom. Never had cyno or an algae outbreak yet. I did have some dinos from my nutrient levels being at zero...maybe it doesn't happen to a noticable degree in some tanks.

I was looking at the Finnex titanium tubes, which want to be mounted horizontally, and had the idea of putting it in that closed off little area below the first 2 chambers. Does anyone know if there'd be enough flow there?

Interesting idea, I think there would be enough flow since the return pump is pulling from there, but I think it will be hard to get it around the corner and into that area. If you are able, def let me know.

rock flowers seem popular for nano size tanks like this, and have a reputation for being safe with fish. On the other hand, the mini maxi carpet

There was a a video on the Inappropriate Reefer Your tube channel where baby clown fish kept disappearing. It was his mini maxi eating them. Not sure if all are this way, but I've at least seen one instance. It was in his budget nano build if you want to check it out.

would it be okay to have a second fish?

Love the goby shrimp idea. Especially the gobys you are looking at. I think two fish seems fine for this sized tank as long as it's appropriately sized fish.

Anyway, tank is looking good! Looking forward to seeing you get a fish in it.

OP
OP
saltcats

saltcats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the intensity of your peak brightness? Curious Since I'm running the Saxby preset as well.

For me, it's UV 31, V 37, RY, 59, B 56, G 4, DR 6, CW 28

Today will be the first day in a long time the lights will come on as normally scheduled due to the dino outbreak I had. Some of my Zoas are reaching for more light so I'm interested how they start to react now that it will be at my normal preset.
Mine is much lower currently - I think only around 30 something for the blue. I definitely intend to put it up higher before getting corals. Do your settings seem to be working well with your zoas? I saw your thread about Saxby nano settings and was disappointed you didn't get many replies, as I'm very curious as well!

Something got messed up there. I would click on each of those blue dots and bring those values down to where it smooths out the line. I also saw you other post about the UI, I did a lot of googling as well. The instructions are inadequate. Best thing I did was just mess around for a while. Really got me familer with the app and functionality. I would make sure you are comfortable before you get a fish. Messing with the lights stressed my fish out to the point I had to move the light from over the tank. Which then made it challenging to see how my changes effected the tank.
Good to know, thanks; I'll fix that up. I'd be inclined to think it was done by me accidentally while messing with the hard-to-use UI, except that I see the same bump in the downloaded preset file!
Definitely agree re stressing inhabitants; I wish it wouldn't jump to max brightness on the new settings as you mess with it. I've been putting a folded up towel over the tank when I want to adjust settings so my poor hermits aren't startled!

Interesting idea, I think there would be enough flow since the return pump is pulling from there, but I think it will be hard to get it around the corner and into that area. If you are able, def let me know.
That's a good point; I'll see if I can find something about the same size and do a test fit before committing to a heater! Fingers crossed it fits, it'd be great to get the heater out of the way and into an otherwise unusable area.

There was a a video on the Inappropriate Reefer Your tube channel where baby clown fish kept disappearing. It was his mini maxi eating them. Not sure if all are this way, but I've at least seen one instance. It was in his budget nano build if you want to check it out.
I'll give that a look, thanks! I know I've seen reports of them eating fish, but it seemed mixed whether they'd actually caused the death or just caught an injured or already dead fish. That said, since my planned inhabitants are very small, it's probably best to give it a miss...

Anyway, tank is looking good! Looking forward to seeing you get a fish in it.
Thank you! It'll be a while yet, haha, but I'm enjoying seeing it come together bit by bit.

Jib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do your settings seem to be working well with your zoas? I saw your thread about Saxby nano settings and was disappointed you didn't get many replies, as I'm very curious as well!

Some of the Zoas have really started reaching for more light. Uncertain if I want to turn up the light or not. Really wish my LFS had a PAR meter to rent. Starting to really consider renting one from BRS.

I wish it wouldn't jump to max brightness on the new settings as you mess with it.

So much this comment. It would be great, or if the had a test menu that you could build out new lighting schedules that didn't mess with the tanks current schedule.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 19.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 39 50.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.3%
Back