Saltwater Books

Noah's Shark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
Does anyone have any recommendations for quality books on reefing, corals, fish, and/or marine biology?
Thank you and have a wonderful day.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here is a link to an R2R thread that may give you a few ideas:

i_declare_bankruptcy

out of control
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve read just about all these and enjoyed them. Currently working on the biology of coRal reefs and trying to get through biology for dummies haha. Strongly recommend coral reefs in the microbial seas its an incredible read.

image.jpg

YankeeTankee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue is that so many of them are really old now and while some things dont change, others do. @ReefBum has a good book out on SPS covering the basics. I check out his youtube channel from time to time, I saw he created some sort of online course also.

Honestly I would start by reading some of the articles that people like Randy Holmes Farley and other credible reefers here on R2R have written. And they're free!

OP
OP
Noah's Shark

Noah's Shark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve read just about all these and enjoyed them. Currently working on the biology of coRal reefs and trying to get through biology for dummies haha. Strongly recommend coral reefs in the microbial seas its an incredible read.

image.jpg
Thank you for the picture and advice, I appreciate it very much.
The issue is that so many of them are really old now and while some things dont change, others do. @ReefBum has a good book out on SPS covering the basics. I check out his youtube channel from time to time, I saw he created some sort of online course also.

Honestly I would start by reading some of the articles that people like Randy Holmes Farley and other credible reefers here on R2R have written. And they're free!
Great advice, I will look into it!

U

User1

View Badges
Age of the book doesn't matter.

The Conscientious Marine Aquarist: A Commonsense Handbook for Successful Saltwater Hobbyists by Robert M. Fenner

Marine Aquarium Handbook: Beginner to Breeder Paperback –
by Martin A. Moe

Two good choices. Lots more but these are worth a read.

OP
OP
Noah's Shark

Noah's Shark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Age of the book doesn't matter.

The Conscientious Marine Aquarist: A Commonsense Handbook for Successful Saltwater Hobbyists by Robert M. Fenner

Marine Aquarium Handbook: Beginner to Breeder Paperback –
by Martin A. Moe

Two good choices. Lots more but these are worth a read.
Looks like Amazon has both of those. Thank you for the recommendations.

U

User1

View Badges
Looks like Amazon has both of those. Thank you for the recommendations.

You are welcome. Read some of the comments and see what reaches out to you and sounds interesting. I really enjoyed both of them but one may be more related to setting up and started whereas Fenner's is a bit broader.

OP
OP
Noah's Shark

Noah's Shark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are welcome. Read some of the comments and see what reaches out to you and sounds interesting. I really enjoyed both of them but one may be more related to setting up and started whereas Fenner's is a bit broader.
Understood, thank you.

Tyler Young

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

image.jpg
I’m sorry if this is out of line, but would you be willing to sell any of those? Or the whole lot?

i_declare_bankruptcy

out of control
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry if this is out of line, but would you be willing to sell any of those? Or the whole lot?

Sorry, they're all near and dear to me and would like to keep them on my book shelf. If there was anything in particular you needed to know I'm happy to look it up and send a pic of the page :)

BackToTheReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

image.jpg

The Modern Coral Reef Aquarium was one of my favorites. The manager at the LFS gave me the series when I worked there and now I can't find it!

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what's in my library so far in regards to the hobby:
  • TFH The 101 Best Marine Invertebrates - Scott W. Michael
  • TFH The 101 Best Saltwater Fishes - Scott W. Michael
  • TFH The 101 Best Nano-Reef Species - Scott W. Michael
  • How to Raise and Train your Peppermint Shrimp - April Kirkendoll
  • Animal Planet Saltwater Aquarium Problem Solver - Jeff Kurtz
  • The Marine Aquarium Handbook - Martin A. Moe
  • Breeding the Orchid Dottyback - Martin A. Moe
  • The Complete Illustrated Breeder's Guide to Marine Aquarium Fishes - Matthew L. Wittenrich
  • The Marine Reef Aquarium - Phil Hunt
  • A PocketExpert Guide to Marine Fishes: 500+ Essential-To-Know Aquarium Species
  • The New Marine Aquarium - Michael S. Paletta
  • Plankton Culture Manual 6th Edition - Frank H. Hoff and Terry W. Snell
  • Banggai Cardinalfish: A Guide to Captive Care, Breeding & Natural History - Ret Talbot, Matthew Pederson, Matthew L. Wittenrich
  • Coral Magazine (Jan 2014-June 2020)
  • Assorted other reefkeeping magazines
There are a few marine science books as well:
  • Introduction to Marine Biology (4th Ed.) - George Karleskint, Richard Turner, James Small
  • Biological Oceanography (2nd Ed.) - Miller
Finally, there're some uncategorized books:
  • Four Fish: The Future of the Last Wild Food - Paul Greenberg
  • The Extreme Life of the Sea - Stephen Palumbi
  • Death at Seaworld: Shamu and the Dark Side of Killer Whales in Captivity - David Kirby
I'm probably missing something or other....

Tyler Young

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, they're all near and dear to me and would like to keep them on my book shelf. If there was anything in particular you needed to know I'm happy to look it up and send a pic of the page :)
Thank you! And I completely understand! I’ll let you know if anything comes to mind!

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgive me for being too lazy to type them out of provide links, there are too many I recommend.

B8725496-FF15-4CD1-9A37-4720697E0FFD.jpeg

Natural Reef Aquarium, Conscientious Marine Aquarist, Aquarium corals, the modern reef aquarium, and marine invertebrates and plants are my top picks here.

EBC13BA1-BA40-4AF7-8B7E-AAD9D3EC140A.jpeg

843F23F3-5A79-4D0D-B3EB-EB2A65B18C5E.jpeg

Any of these minus Cesar Milan ;Dead

C237C082-D0C1-4E39-BC29-E7A57DA5C75D.jpeg

VERON’s corals of Australia and the indopacific is a must have.

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to mention. I purchased every one of those books used for next to nothing. Most from independent resale shops and sellers on amazon. Win win ;-)

The Modern Coral Reef Aquarium was one of my favorites. The manager at the LFS gave me the series when I worked there and now I can't find it!
Agree! It’s one of the best yet most underrated reef aquarium books out there.

Tyler Young

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgive me for being too lazy to type them out of provide links, there are too many I recommend.

B8725496-FF15-4CD1-9A37-4720697E0FFD.jpeg

Natural Reef Aquarium, Conscientious Marine Aquarist, Aquarium corals, the modern reef aquarium, and marine invertebrates and plants are my top picks here.

EBC13BA1-BA40-4AF7-8B7E-AAD9D3EC140A.jpeg

843F23F3-5A79-4D0D-B3EB-EB2A65B18C5E.jpeg

Any of these minus Cesar Milan ;Dead

C237C082-D0C1-4E39-BC29-E7A57DA5C75D.jpeg

VERON’s corals of Australia and the indopacific is a must have.
Forgive me if this is too far, but would you be willing to part with any of these? I’m a big fan of reefing books or anything saltwater related that I can learn more from.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgive me if this is too far, but would you be willing to part with any of these? I’m a big fan of reefing books or anything saltwater related that I can learn more from.
...sooooooo are you only on this thread to ask if you can buy our books? I’m not sure if I should be offended or relieved that you don’t want any of mine...

Coral magazine put outs its entire collection for pdf download back in March, and was supposed to end in June or so. Try and see if this still works: https://www.reef2rainforest.com/2020/04/07/coral-magazine-38-issues-with-free-digital-access/

Back