Saltwater fish are… different

Pandaexpress

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 13, 2026
Messages
17
Reaction score
33
Location
US
What state or country do you live in
Indiana
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is my first time keeping saltwater fish, I have only kept freshwater aquacultured fish before. Human-raised fish have more stereotypical behavior and overall quite comfortable around humans. They are conditioned to associate big creepy monkey = food I suppose 😂.

These wild fish from the ocean are noticeably intelligent, agile, aware of their surroundings, and strategic about food. It is incredibly impressive how environmental enrichment during early development shapes the fish’s behavior in such a dramatic way. They clearly have experienced nature and know how to survive in the wild world.

I have a deep respect for these animals, and truly hope to give them the environment they deserve in captivity. Started the quarantine recently and named my first fish ‘Hardy’, hope it stays strong and healthy and happy 🐠.

I also noticed that everything in saltwater is indeed much slower than freshwater, even including the microbiome and bacteria. I am so used to freshwater where I can almost see immediate result most of the time. Need to change my mindset and approaches to a ‘delayed onset’ pattern….
 
I tried to catch a domino damsel on a hook and I would swear he would check the hook out, blowing in the current, then hit just the bait and leave the hook clean. And I tried my best to hide the hook entirely with a mysis. Took a full week after that to catch him in a trap because he was so weary.

But on another level, my wrasse is like my wet dog. He’s always nosing in when I’m doing something in the tank, looking for food I could stir up or something idk. Right next to my hand or tongs when I’m picked up a coral.
 
I tried to catch a domino damsel on a hook and I would swear he would check the hook out, blowing in the current, then hit just the bait and leave the hook clean. And I tried my best to hide the hook entirely with a mysis. Took a full week after that to catch him in a trap because he was so weary.

But on another level, my wrasse is like my wet dog. He’s always nosing in when I’m doing something in the tank, looking for food I could stir up or something idk. Right next to my hand or tongs when I’m picked up a coral.
Wow… it’s crazy how intelligent they actually are, and with such distinct personalities, especially when raised by mother nature!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 24.1%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 24.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new