Saltwater for your reef tank DIY

blacksea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, after tons of research on the main components of sea water I came to a mixture made of minerals available either in groceries, pharmacies or chemical suppliers. I use tap water for my tank. The minerals dissolve best in warm water. The recipe includes only the main minerals. Micro elements must be added according to your stocking and consumption. I'm experimenting on a biological/natural/DIY approach for that, too.

Check out my recipe:

Some more explanation: https://aqua-biotopes.blogspot.com/

joethenathan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you been running a tank with this mixture? Have you found it to be cost competitive with commercially available salts?

OP
OP
blacksea

blacksea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I run my tank from the beginning like this. The main compound, uniodized salt is pretty cheap, 0,15 EUR per kilogram. The other minerals are used over quite a period of time, they are about 3 to 5 EUR per kilogram. My tank is doing fine. It's not high tech, I stock it little by little. But I think it's worth a try for each reefer. Reef salt mixture vary quite a lot in their composition, this way you can adjust it. Those who do Balling use some of these minerals anyway...

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tested your tap water? Do you know what’s in it?

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, after tons of research on the main components of sea water I came to a mixture made of minerals available either in groceries, pharmacies or chemical suppliers. I use tap water for my tank. The minerals dissolve best in warm water. The recipe includes only the main minerals. Micro elements must be added according to your stocking and consumption. I'm experimenting on a biological/natural/DIY approach for that, too.

Check out my recipe:

Seems you’re only adding in a few minerals? Calcium, magnesium and potassium? How about other trace elements? Iodine? Curious of the alkalinity and pH of it as well.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Check out my recipe:

Thanks for sharing, comrade

OP
OP
blacksea

blacksea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tested your tap water? Do you know what’s in it?
Yes, I did some standard tests, nothing special. Ph over 7, average hardness. I do add iodide solution every day, it seems to be very important to some animals. Since there is nothing fancy in my tank I'm ok that way. The anemones are challenging most, but they're doing fine. The LPS coral is well, too. From time to time I add Calcium nitrate as fertilizer, since there are not many fish right now and the anemones have quite a consumption. It's like liquid food for them (zooxanthellae are plants in the end...). Also I add ethanol from time to time. The snails, blennies and shrimps love the biofilm that grows from it...

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Check out my recipe:

The video froze around 20 seconds in. Tried it twice.

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did a quick calculation to figure out the economic viability of this mixture vs Instant Ocean salt mix. There may be cheaper salt alternatives but what I found was $28 for 11.3kg of non iodized table salt. This works out to $50 for 200 gallons of salt mix. Instant Ocean is $42-$54 for 200 gallons. This wasn't accounting for the other ingredients.

OP
OP
blacksea

blacksea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did a quick calculation to figure out the economic viability of this mixture vs Instant Ocean salt mix. There may be cheaper salt alternatives but what I found was $28 for 11.3kg of non iodized table salt. This works out to $50 for 200 gallons of salt mix. Instant Ocean is $42-$54 for 200 gallons. This wasn't accounting for the other ingredients.
Well, where I live it makes quite a difference... Certainly a professional salt is the better solution. Lucky you...

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 26 28.9%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 30 33.3%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 17.8%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 15 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back