Saltwater History

kcpike11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In response to the Red Sea Challenge I'd like to start a discussion on the history of reefkeeping. I haven't been able to find too much on the topic of early reefkeepers other than it seems like it really started in the 60's and all the required equipment was invented around that time.

I know there are some veterans on the forum and I am wondering how much the hobby has changed or has it merely been upgrades to existing technology. Anyone out there running a tank with 70's equipment in it :)

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you meant modern reefkeeping, but I was just reading the other day that the first public aquarium (Fish House, London Zoo) was opened in 1853. The first I had seen documented for a saltwater aquarium in the sense that we know it was 1838. It also mentioned the first coral kept in aquaria may have been in 1847:

"In 1838, Félix Dujardin noted owning a saltwater aquarium, though he did not use the term. In 1846, Anne Thynne maintained stony corals and seaweed for almost three years, and was credited as the creator of the first balanced marine aquarium in London."

The genus she kept was listed as Madrepora.

Fish House, circa 1875:

IMG.jpg

Last edited:

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious if this article is where you got the pics/info?

https://www.zsl.org/blogs/artefact-...e-at-zsl-london-zoo-the-first-public-aquarium

The ZSL just posted that a week ago and I missed it! :)

Yes it was - or part of it, anyway. I was on another blog/website as well and merged the information together. The photo was what led me to the blog - I was looking up "vintage aquariums" because someone had posted a brass one on Craigslist.

I am nothing if not a cornucopia of useless facts and trivia. . . :p

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peter Wilkens .... His books can still be found if you look hard enough. Cannot recall when the two were published, but I've had them for decades. Along with Stuber, really the pioneers of the modern reef hobby.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As to equipment, it's changed in form and function but not in underlying purpose. Stuff from the 70's for me was all FW and long gone. I do have a few bits and pieces from the 80's, though mostly just collecting dust. My oldest piece of still operating kit is my MTC ProCal which I bought in or around 1997. Even that has seen pretty extensive modifications over time though. My best purchase probably was an iwaki pump bought in 1988 and retired after 20 years of continuous operation in 2008. Now THAT's reliable!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first tank was a metaframe - aluminum corners (wider at the bottom which gavecthectank an odd look), a slate bottom and sealed with tar. An absolute monstrosity ...... and I consistently regret that I didn't keep it, if only for posterity.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back