Saltwater mixing station

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use one of those inexpensive Aqueon heaters that has a preset temp, and leave it on if there’s water in the container. A lot of salt mixes suggest specific temp ranges for mixing, and it’s closer to my tank temp so I never worry about an inrush of cold water entering the tank.

JTP424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not forget to have an airstone in the mixed salt container. Aerated water is good for water changes and you will turn off the heater/pump and leave the airstone running for storage.
I never thought of this! I might have to add it to my mixing station build....

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never thought of this! I might have to add it to my mixing station build....
I think it depends on the salt and holding time. Instant Ocean instructions say to aerate. Red Sea instructions say don’t aerate. I use TMPro and just run a powerhead.

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@mike550
I just started using TMpro too and just started using an airstone.
Without an airstone in my mixing tank the water raises in PH and I was losing calcium/alk/mag over time. Calcium carbonate forms when the pH rises. Keep it aerated and you will avoid a lot of the buildup and keep your parameters right.

I'm just trying to relay what randy told me the other week but I am not that smart! lol
Also I think the airstone is cheaper to run than a pump. I'm just not looking forward to the salt creep in my mixing tank.

Edit: airstone is unnecessary if you are only doing small water changes. The pH will balance back out in your tank but if you are doing large 25% or more after storing for awhile I would be sure to aerate myself.

Last edited:

thecodingart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some pics of mine. Pardon the poor photos and mess. The system will be moved from my laundry room to new fish room soon. The two 55 gallon containers I believe were ordered from tractor supply (?). Happy to walk you through the setup / valveage / automation.

20230208_165708.jpg 20230208_165722.jpg 20230208_165730.jpg 20230208_165726.jpg 20230208_165736.jpg
If you happen to have a list of parts for everything, that would be super helpful for me. I'm pretty much looking for a setup to hook my 7 stage RODI system to and have been seeking out parts for almost exactly what you have.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back